In-depth analysis

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by WWS, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWS

WWS Registered Member

Tonight when doing an In-depth analysis, the scanning stopped and announced it found an infected file. Says the file can be deleted. (Local Scan didn't find this Adware thing}
    I have:
    AMON set to Clean Automatically, Move to Quarantine.
    DMON set to Clean, Prompt for Action, Copy to Quarantine.
    NOD32 set to Clean, Remove, Copy to Quarantine.
    Question: what to change so that if the In-depth analysis (or even the Local Scan) finds something, it doesn't stop the scanning.
    I don't want to have to sit in front of the PC and deal with any findings as they come up.

Edit: Second thoughts.
    Probably 99% of my settings were default.
    Reset my settings in line with Blackspear's "Extra Settings for NOD32"
    I'll see how it goes.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  2. WWS

WWS Registered Member

On Demand scanner hangup

A previous thread about In-Depth analysis, after I edited it, really was not calling for an answer as I didn't have NOD32 set up "right." Now I have to ask again.
    Using the NOD32 On Demand scanner for In-Depth Analysis, when an issue is found, the scanning stops. About half way through C drive when it found something, the scan was halted and waited for me to do something about it.
    How do I stop this from happening and have the scan continue to the end and let me deal with any issues after it's all done?
    I have everything set up as in Blackspear's "Extra Settings for NOD32" and am using NOD32 as a "trial."

3. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Go to "In-Depth" scan, stop it when it starts to scan.

Select the "Actions" tab (next to "Scanning Log"), set every option ("Files", "Archives" etc) to "Clean", and set "If cleaning cannot be performed" to "Copy to Quarantine" (for all options).

Then run scan; it should deal with "infections" automatically now.

EDIT: Alternatively, you can set NOD to "No action" (in the "Actions" tab), so that it does nothing more than simply reporting any malware it finds. Then, in the scanning log, you can right-click and choose what to do with any that it finds.

4. seamaiden

seamaiden Registered Member

Thanks for explaining that. I may need to change my settings.

During scans, the scan stops and prompts me with an alert whenever it finds something and waits for me to make a selection. I like the "ask me what to do" or "prompt" feature, but I want it to finish the scan and then display all the alerts or prompts at one time at the end of the scan, not interrupt the scan every time it finds something. I don't want to use "clean automatically," because there are false positives from time to time. NOD32 might remove a file that I know is not infected because the file contains a certain script or code. I usually submit such files to Eset for analysis.

For some reason at the end of a scan, NOD32 fails to save the scan results to a log file. I may need to uninstall and reinstall NOD32. I did learn that CCleaner was removing the logs, but I fixed that problem in CCleaner by unchecking NOD32, so that won't happen any more. NOD32 still won't save the scan results to a log file, and there are no previous logs to look at. The only way I can save the scan results is to right-click each item line by line. That's annoying. There are sometimes a lot of items!

At the end of the scan, I wish you could right-click and save the entire log file instead of just one line at a time. PLEASE add that option to the context menu in the next version. Then the user can choose to copy one line or all lines.

5. WWS

WWS Registered Member

Thanks, Kjempen..
    it worked for me.

6. seamaiden

seamaiden Registered Member

For my log file problem, I did the following to fix it.

1. Unchecked NOD32 in CCleaner (so CCleaner can't 'clean' it)
    2. Uninstalled NOD32 and rebooted
    3. Manually deleted the C:\Program Files\Eset folder and rebooted
    4. Reinstalled NOD32 from scratch

Don't let CCleaner or any other application 'clean' NOD32!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.