In Defense of Doing Wrong

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, May 22, 2015.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

In Defense of Doing Wrong.

-- Tom

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

The right to do wrong, indeed, one of the bases of freedom.

3. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

That is a very good discussion topic. I think too often the law is viewed in the context of "the law is the law" as if it is an undeniable part of the universe that cannot and should not be challenged even though so much of our most celebrated history is based on doing exactly that.

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'd like to know when capitalist value became law or when law became based on capitalist value. Capitalist value is another word for greed. Such laws were made to be broken. That's the kind of logic that justifies internet trackers. They want the right to monitor all we see, but we don't have the right to know what they do with that information. I don't see transparency on their end.

5. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

I do not agree that privacy is a capitalist value, it is a personal value and there is no foundation for insisting transparency in personal communication.
    The technology we have is simply a method of holding conversation while negating the necessity for travel.
    I can have a face to face conversation with my wife without the government being present, therefore, when I use technology that allows me to have the same conversation with her without traveling to her location to do it, there is no basis for expecting the government should be party to it.
    The same holds true for any other kind of internet communication, data sharing etc.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's not the "right to do wrong"! It's my right to do what you think is wrong. Or vice versa. And in particular, it's the right of minorities (and/or the weak) to protect themselves while doing what majorities (and/or the powerful) think is wrong. This “era of transparency” stuff is just a lie.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.