In ''computer dummy'' terms, what is Winpatrol?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ejr, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I visited the Winpatrol website but didn't leave feeling like I truly understand what it does. What value does it bring to the table?

I know that there is a free version, but what does that free version do for you?

2. btman

btman Registered Member

You could download the free version and see what features it doesn't let you use lol. Best way to determine to keep a program is to try it.

It does offer a decent amount of protection though...And there are other similar programs around... Mainly people say Arovax Shield... But I have no experience with Win Patrol... So my post ends lol.

3. Get

Get Guest

Read this and you'll know: Winpatrol features

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I've been using this quite a while, currently using the 2007 Beta. It isn't true resident or realtime, but "patrols" every minute, or 7 minutes, the frequency can be adjusted for each category of protection. It guards against BHO's, Startup changes, IE add-ons, Services, scheduled tasks, and a couple of other areas. Can be set to guard changes to the Hosts file, too. It works. Every time I modify/add a program, within a minute or two afterward, there's an audible woof, and a Winpatrol popup asking if I want to approve a change.
    For a serious infestation, eg a trojan (Done this) it won't prevent the installation, but can seriously limit the damage then done. Or did in my case.
    Give it a try. It's intuitive to use, and quite helpful and informative.

5. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Tarq57....WinPatrol 2007 is out of beta now. Current version is 11.1.2007:11.1.2007

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Something to play with:)
    I miss the dog!

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I am using v.10, and very happy w/ it. I know there is one new feature called starup delayer with v.11. Does it function well? I recall to use a freeware w/ same name years ago, was not impressed. Now I have an app called Speed Startup, very effective. I just wonder should I upgrade to v.11. o_O

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

HA! ruf:D

9. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Thanks, Someone. Must update.
    Startup delayer works fine in Winpatrol, although there's only one application I've set it to delay. Not sure about touching some of the windows services, and some of them aren't available to be delayed, anyway.

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Free is not real time,Plus version(paid)is real time.

11. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Ah. My oversight.
    Just found that in free version, monitoring of the Hosts file, and IE start page are in realtime, though. Pretty good.

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

RUF;)
    edit: why did i ever uninstall it? Never had issues with Scotty. It's pretty cool that bark. And it's informative.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am not sure that Scotty really adds any security considering other applications I have. However, it provides a lot of information at one's fingertips that I find useful. I would hate to be without it.

Jerry

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I just asked for a full report:)

15. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Scotty sure is cute & his Bark makes my dog Zoe Bark too. Rufff.

16. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hey Jerry,

I tend to agree somewhat regarding the security aspect of WP, considering the "other" apps that I have as well.....but from a basic "PC Management" standpoint, I think it's top shelf! All I know is if it were NOT for WinPatrol, there's no telling HOW MANY "Startup Programs", etc., would be sneaking themself into my SU Programs list. Not to mention all the "Services", etc. that I would have running. Right now, I usually have around 37 or 38 "Active Tasks" running normally....but that would probably be closer to 48-50 if not for WinPatrol! Seriously, seemingly about the only alerts that I get from my security software these days (aside from the occasional trojan caught by NOD32) are from Scotty....telling me that "Adobe Flash", or "Yahoo Messenger", or "RealPlayer", etc. wants to add itself as a "Startup Program" after I've just recently used or updated one of those type items....

The PLUS version is very informative as well. Overall, it's a nice little program :thumb:

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I agree, JR. I did have one interesting experience the other day.
    I decided to remove McAfee Site Advisor. I uninstalled it through Control Panel, searched and removed all I could find, but there was still a window coming up at start that Windows could not find SA. There was nothing under Programs.

I went through everything I could think of, and then it dawned on me that it might be in Scotty's start up section. Sure enough I went there and found it was to be activated at start, and I guess it caused a search to see if it was actually happening.

I removed it from Scotty's start up section, and the search at start went away.
    Obviously, neither ADD/Remove nor "Search" find everything.
    That might be useful for other applications that one wants to remove.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.