Improving time to install apps/games

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Ade 1, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Hi there.

Just got a query I hope someone can help with.

I was using NOD32 2.7 since it was released and have now just switched to trying out ESS Beta 1b which I am very happy with and no problems encountered so far. However, the one thing I have noticed is the time it's taking to install large apps/games compared with 2.7.

I haven't changed any of the default settings and it seems to me that ESS is scanning files as they're written to my HDD which is causing apps/games to install very slowly. I realise that in game manuals it is suggested to disable anti virus apps during install but I never have done this and have never had any problems.

For example, I've just installed Battlestations Midway and it took over 10 mins during which files being written to my HDD were very intermittent rather than constant HDD activity. Also, installing Nero 7 during the extraction process at the beginning it would stop at 97% and I had to wait about 10 mins before installation proceeded.

I can only put this down to ESS scanning the files as they are written to the HDD which is no problem other than the time it's taking. Is there any options under the anti virus section you recommend disabling/not needed to increase the speed at which files are installed? Under realtime system settings all options are checked (eg. runtime packers, self extracting archives, advanced heurisitcs). Presumably it's one of these that's causing the slowdown. If I remember rightly the default settings in 2.7 didn't include some of these options.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

PS. Am using Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Try unchecking runtime packers and self extracting archives.

3. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Hi.

Thanks for the advice. I thought that may be the reason - sure they weren't checked in the default set up with 2.7.

Presumably this won't reduce the effectiveness too much of the virus app?

4. OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER Registered Member

The advanced heurisitcs are most likely your problem. I seem to remember (in 2.7 I think) there was a message with it or warning when you enabled it that it takes longer to scan with it enabled than without it enabled.

5. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I've unchecked runtime packers and archived files and will see if that works but I note your comment about advanced heuristics so I'll try that as well if the other two don't effect it.

6. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I emailed this query to Eset yesterday and received a personal note back about this. They said:-

"AH, runtime packers and self extracting archives are checked only for newly created/modified files by default. They are not enabled for the rest of on-access scanning. These are the same setting as in NOD32 2.7. I would advise to temporarily disable them when performing a bigger app/game installation."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.