Improper shutdown menu on Shadow Defender is this NORMAL???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by narmenia, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narmenia

narmenia Registered Member

I am currently finding an alternative to Deepfreeze because a program that i want to use does not work properly if Deepfreeze is installed.

So someone suggested Shadow Defender.

So far i like it. my program that is not working properly on DF works fine with SD.
    BUT why does my OS (XP) show the improper shutdown menu when i Hard reset/shutdown my PC?
    In Deepfreeze when i do the same thing. there is no improper shutdown menu, as if nothing has happened...

I am now thinking Shadow Defender MAY not be as ROCK SOLID as Deepfreeze.
    And I am afraid that in a couple of months, with "many" improper shutdown my OS or my Primary partition will be corrupted.

SD will be installed (as soon as i am sure if it is as ROCK solid as DF) on an internet cafe so i am expecting around 5-10 hard reset/shutdown per day...
    so far with Deepfreeze there has been NO problem...

comments?

2. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

With Windows XP (32-bit only as 64-bit is NOT supported), use the version 278 build of SD. That 278 build version is rock solid.:cool:

Find it here ... hxxp://www.shadowdefender.com/download/SD1.1.0.278_Setup.exe

3. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Personally, I've NEVER had an issue with any version of Shadow Defender,regarding your problem described here. Currently,I'm using Version: 1.1.0.325 with no issues either.

All on windows XP SP3 :thumb:

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Let me try to understand what is the problem here: you are saying that when you hard shutdown/reset your computer you get "improper shutdown menu" presumably you mean the black screen suggesting solutions to an improper shutdown.

My first question is why do you need to 'hard shutdown' your computer? Does it happen often? With SD in shadow mode, do you have any problems using the tray right click 'Exit All Shadow Modes'? Is your computer shutting down normally through the START/Shut down when in shadow mode?

A hard shut down is not normal, it is an emergency, and therefore you should get a black screen giving you some options. Whether it happens with SD and not with DF is irrelevant IMO.

As far as 'rock solid' I can assure you both programs are are very solid indeed, some people have, however, experienced long shut downs using SD, when in shadow mode. A behaviour that could be attributed to SD conflicting with another application.

5. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Why do you need to hard reset your PC? And did you select "Enter Shadow Mode on Boot"?

6. narmenia

YES. meaning when i do a hard shutdown. it still registers after i turn on the PC.
    IMO that means something has changed on the SHADOWED partition. when i did the hard shutdown.

i thought when i SHADOWED mode you can't change anything on the shadowed partition..
    so why is there a improper shutdown menu?

internet cafe = PUBLIC PC
    i'm guessing around 5-10 hard shutdowns per DAY.
    this includes hangups, power failures, and deliberate turning off after using...
    most users get locked by our timer when their time is over... and they may have some online games running or may forgot to logout their facebook account. so they just turn of the AVR without shutting down the PC.
    or else the next USER may hack their game account or vandalize their facebook accounts.

NO problems
    YES

may not be relevant to you but to me it is.

before using DF i was using ROLLBACK RX 9. restore on reboot option.
    but due to the improper reset/shutdown... i end up having BSODs, and bad sectors, etc. mostly related to corruption of the primary partition...

reformatted all units and installed i end up using Deepfreeze.
    now i they are ROCK solid...

BUT i want to use a PROGRAM but it is not working properly with deepfreeze...

7. narmenia

i have 3 partitions

C, D, E

only the first partition is shadowed...

i tried deleting files and folders and created new files and folders on drive C.
    then i did the proper restart of the PC...

no improper shutdown menu... and all changes on C are gone...

then i tried the same steps but i pressed the RESET button on the PC...

improper shutdown menu shows up (it shows the SAFE MODE etc.). yet all changes on C are gone...

8. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Yes, you're right, I tried that and I get that improper shutdown menu too. I don't know if it will lead to a corrupted partition though.

9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

@Narmenia : do give my suggested rock solid build 278 version a try, whether hard reset or not, it will survive.:p

10. narmenia

ok will try...

btw...
    1. does the EXCLUSION only made permanent on a PROPER SHUTDOWNo_O

ex.
    drive C: is shadowed but "C:\gamesaves" folder is on exclusion list..
    then you are playing a game... you're saved the games are automatically saved on "C:\gamesaves" folder...
    the PC hangs up...

what happens to the save game?

2. is SD ok with DE-FRAGMENTING software? can i disable shadowed mode... reboot... then do the defragment?

11. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

If the gamesaves folder is in your exclusion list and it has been saved before the PC hangs, a hard reset will not affect your saved game.

Yes. To defragment your hard disk, you must first boot out of shadowmode, then do the defragment and then enable shadowmode again.

Let us know how your trial of build version 278 went.

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

@Narmenia : How did your test went ? o_O

13. narmenia

thanks for suggesting the older version...

so far it does not show the improper shutdown menu... ^_^

i will install this to about 20% of the total number of computers...
    if in about a month or two... no computers get corrupted I'll replace all DF with SD... ^_^

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.