Important TOR Question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TyKn, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyKn

TyKn Registered Member

Im using tor with the Vidalia bundle. When I open the Vidalia control panel and click on "view network map", I'm noticing tor is only making 2 connections -- an entry node and exit node. When I click on the "select new identity button", to re-route my network connection, or just wait and let tor automatically re-route the connection, it will often use exit nodes in Germany and usually the same one or two exit nodes no matter how many times I select a new route.

Having just two connections, an entry node and exit node is pretty weak for anonymity in tor, correct? How do I get tor to always make more than two network connections to be safer? Always connecting to the same exit node is also weak for anonymity correct?

Why do you think tor only selects 2 nodes most of the time and why does tor seem to have a preference to one or two exit nodes?

How do I change this from happening?

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Lol, so much anonymity :rolleyes:

3. TyKn

TyKn Registered Member

That answer was no help :(

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Sorry man, i don't know about this program.
    I guess you don't really get answers because not much people lurk this part of the forums :D

Patience ;)

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

how many entries on the network map?

6. tsec

tsec Registered Member

I have seen TOR in use when in one window of the map, three nodes are shown, and in the other window (that states IP, location of the nodes etc) only two were showing.

I suspected this was a DNS issue - not sure though.

Is this what is happening with yourself?

What are the green lines on the map showing -one straight line or one with a kink in the middle?

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The Tor onion router is a 3-hop design. Rest assured that when using Tor with Vidalis, you are not on a 2-hop network.

It must be the Vidalia design that is only showing 2-hops presumabley not to be traceable with the middle connection missing?

If there are any Vidalia design documents, try to download and read them for more information, or download and read the code for Vidalia (if available) given you are so inclined and able to do which can also resolve the question.

-- Tom

8. tsec

tsec Registered Member

Seems to happen sporadically though.

Design or glitch? Dunno, but as you said 3 hops is three hops - irrespective of what is displayed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.