Import/Export Settings

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Mr_JimWest, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr_JimWest

Mr_JimWest Registered Member

Plan

I have purchased a new, higher capacity SSD. I would like to backup my ESET settings and place them on my main SSD.

Problem

I click the fancy "Export/Import" settings button, I put my password in, I select export, I select the desktop, I click OK. Nothing happens - ESET is then rendered useless. It does not crash, but rather, none of the inner menu buttons work. For instance, I could use the navigation on the left, but none of the function on the right worked. I even tried closing and opening ESET again, nothing helped but a restart of the PC.

Solution 1 (by ESET Support)

Thank you for contacting ESET Customer Care.

It appears that your ESET security product settings have been protected with a user-defined password. This password is different from the product username and password ESET emailed to you at the time of purchase. ESET has created an Unlock Utility to remove this user-defined password and restore your access to the configuration settings.

For step-by-step instructions, please click or copy/paste the following Knowledgebase article into your web browser:

--

I cannot access the settings—I'm being asked for a password. What should I do?
    http://kb.eset.com/zap/SOLN333

--

Or, please follow the steps below:

1. Download the ESET Unlock Utility from our website. Please click or copy/paste the following link into your web browser:

http://download.eset.com/special/unlock.exe

Save the file to your Desktop.

2. From your Desktop, right-click the ESET Unlock Utility and select 'Run as administrator'.

3. A window will appear with a unique ID code. Send a reply to this email containing the ID code and a request for an unlock code.

4. You will receive a reply from ESET Customer Care containing an unlock code. Right-click the ESET Unlock Utility and select 'Run as administrator' again.

5. Enter the unlock code you received from ESET and press ENTER on your keyboard.

6. Open your ESET product and press the 'F5' key on your keyboard, if the Advanced setup window appears your password has been removed successfully.

7. Click 'OK'.

8. Restart your computer and your ESET security product will no longer be password protected.

Retort 1 (by Me)

I don’t think you fully understand the issue. My password for accessing ESET is fine. I can navigate the entire program, such as the “Advanced setup” menu, using my defined password, without any issues. I can even click the “Import and export settings…” button, it asks for my password, after entering it, it asks me where I would like to store it. No matter where I say I would like it stored, after selecting a place, and clicking “OK” the menu disappears and the programs loses function. For instance, I can no longer click on “Advanced setup” - nothing happens. Not until my computer is restarted, do I regain functionality!

Solution 2 (by ESET Support)

Thank you for contacting ESET Customer Care.

Based on the symptoms you described, reinstalling your ESET product will be necessary. For step-by-step instructions on this process, please click or copy/paste the following Knowledgebase article into your web browser:

--

How do I uninstall or reinstall ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus?
    http://kb.eset.com/zap/SOLN2788

--

Or, please follow the steps below:

=========
    DOWNLOAD:
    =========

1. Download your ESET product from:

--

http://www.eset.com/us/download/home/

--

2. Click the ‘I already purchased’ button to the right of your desired version.

3. Click 'Download' at the center of the page.

4. When prompted to Run or Save, click ‘Save’ and save the file to your Desktop. Do not run the file until you uninstall your previous installation, explained in the next step.

=========
    UNINSTALL:
    =========

After the download completes, you must uninstall your current ESET product.

1. From the Start menu, select ‘All Programs’ -> ‘ESET’ -> ‘ESET Smart Security’ or ‘ESET NOD32 Antivirus’ -> ‘Uninstall’.

2. Follow the prompts to uninstall your ESET product and restart your computer to complete uninstallation.

3. Once your computer has restarted, click ‘Start’ -> ‘My Computer’ -> ‘Local Disk(C:)’ -> ‘Program Files’ and attempt to locate an 'ESET' folder. In most circumstances, this folder should have been removed by the uninstall process but if it is still here, delete it.

WARNING: Delete the ESET folder ONLY. Do not delete the 'Program Files' folder.

=========
    REINSTALL:
    =========

1. After successfully removing your ESET product, you will need to reinstall it. Navigate to your Desktop where you saved the ESET Live Installer file and double-click the file to open it.

2. Follow the steps in the installation wizard to complete your installation.

3. At the activation screen, select 'Activate using a Username and Password' and click Next. Your Username and Password are listed below:

-The username and password are case sensitive and the hyphen in the username is required
    -The password is ten characters long and lowercase
    -When copying and pasting, make sure you do not select an extra blank space
    -We do not use the letter "L" in passwords, use the number one (1) instead
    -A big "0" is the number zero, a small "o" is the lowercase letter o

(KB Quick Tip: The answer to this question and many more can be found in the ESET Knowledgebase! visit eset.com/support to learn more.)

If this resolves your issue or if you need further assistance, please let us know by replying to this email.

Please tell us how we are doing. At the bottom of this email, you will see a link to our customer satisfaction survey. We appreciate your feedback!

Thank you for using ESET security products,
    ESET Customer Care
    North America

Retort 2 (by Me)

Obviously, this does not help me. This is where I need your help! :'(

2. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

I have never had to type in a password to export or import settings. o_O

3. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

The settings password is something that you can set up within the program. That doesn't sound out incorrect to me at all. The issue is what causes ESET to become unresponsive after trying to export settings.

For previous issues that have caused ESET GUI to freeze or become unresponsive, disabling HIPS has helped. I would recommend disabling the HIPS Module and then trying to export your settings to see if you have the same issue. If this fails, you could also disable all protection temporarily while you export your settings and then re-enable it all once you have your export file successfully created.

Try this and let us know how it goes.

4. er34

er34 Guest

Obviously the support is not doing good - they answer like robots - not like people - who scan the email for keywords and based on this send you predefined
    answers with another predefined solutions KB. It is real fun to me to read such things :D

Now seriously :) - After you click import/export and you decide to what destination you will put the configuration file, do you write its name - for example - cfg.xml or settings.xml , and after that click the confirmation button OK ?
    Did you reinstall the program and does it help ?

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Check if the email address white/blacklist contains a lot of addresses. I reckon if there are thousands of addresses, it can take dozens of seconds or even a few minutes to process them and export them to an xml file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.