Imon for AOL email??

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by bobby, Nov 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobby

bobby Guest

Hi,

a noob question -

Can IMON work with AOL e-mail?
    If so, how to configure it?

Thanks in advance

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Is AOL mail brought in through POP3? If so, there is no configuration required.

Try bringing in a test email, and see if IMON scans them...

Cheers :D

3. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

AOL is not POP3 mail.....so, AMON wouldn't catch it. However, I believe that IMON would scan it...

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Other way around, if AOL is not POP3, then IMON will not be able to scan incoming email, however, AMON the resident scanner will protect you by checking all files on opening...

Cheers :D

5. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

You are correct.......I said it backwards! Thanks.

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

So what is the point of IMON? I have never seen a reason to use an email scanner. I have experimented with them and all of them are very buggy and not worth the problems they cause. I used to have AOL and Hotmail neither of which could be scanned (back then Hotmail and Yahoo mail had no scanners of their own) and I didn't have Outlook Express or any POP 3 email client until a couple of years ago. Email scanning is just a gimmick as it is redundant, unneeded protection and is basically irrelevant. AV companies include it just because the users think it is useful. Plus, email. scanning is the number one breaker of OE so don't use IMON. Be glad AOL mail can't use it.

7. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Well AOL already has McAfee e-mail scanning server-side so that's one layer of protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.