IMON and port 995?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Atomas31, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

I have read that IMON don't protect email who come through port 995 with Secure connection (SSL), is this true?

If so, does that mean that I am not protected against virus that could come in an email? Should I configure NOD32 a special way to be protected against email coming from port 995 with SSLo_O?

Does the next version will rectified the situation?

Thank you,
    Atomas31

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  3. Atomas31

Hi Ronjor,

Thanks for the link, but if IMON can protect my email account what is his purpose for those who have a pop account that pass through port 995 with SSL?

In fact, that doesn't make me feel very secure to count on AMON to do what IMON should do!

Thanks,
    Atomas31

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

By design, IMON cannot scan SSL encrypted e-mail. This is not a design flaw of IMON, but a design strength of SSL. The main purpose of encrypting e-mail is to not allow anyone else to look at it. In this case, IMON counts as "anyone else" because it sits in the middle.

Assuming the encryption engine is doing its job, the only way to scan something that has been encrypted is to wait until it has been decrypted. This would mean scanning it with AMON or EMON.

5. Atomas31

EMON? What is that? I don't seems to have that in my version of NOD32?

6. fosius

fosius Registered Member

EMON scans e-mails in Microsoft Outlook/Exchange. Even when you use port 995 in Outlook EMON will scan e-mails. You can download BETA version of EMON on www.eset.sk or www.nod32.com...

7. Atomas31

Thanks Fosius,

But I most specified that I am using Outlook Express and that my NOD32 is in French? So I supposse EMON won't do me any good, ain't it?

Hope that Eset will make it useable with Outlook Express and Mozilla Thunderbird?

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

No because MAPI is supported only by MS Outlook. If other mail clients supported it also, it wouldn't be a problem to integrate EMON with them.

9. Atomas31

Ok! thanks Marcos. But does Eset will make a module, other than EMON, to protect against port 995 with SSL in the next version of NOD32, and that, using Outlook Express?

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's technically impossible - Outlook Express doesn't support plugins as opposed to MS Outlook

11. Atomas31

Does Mozilla Thunderbird support pluggins that could make possible for NOD 32 to check port 995?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.