IMON and BOINC

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Atangel, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atangel

Atangel Registered Member

Something in IMON interferes with BOINC the distributed computing project used by SETI@HOME, among others.

Been trying forever to get over an issue where that project (and others I played with: CERN and Climateprediction) didn't recognize me with a "BAD FIRST TAG" issue. Been plaguing me for a while, removed my router and then put the router back and removed my then FW (never both at the same time :) ) Didn't work, something in the data coming back from the projects wasn'r right... always a bad first tag issue.

Anyway, it finally occurred to me that I had another thing poking into my datastreams... IMON! Set it to efficiency, no good. Tried compatibility, still nothing Turned it off.. and Voila! BOINC was able to connect! At least with the CERN and Climate projects (SETI is down again as it often is).

Don't get me wrong, I think BOINC shouldn't be that sensitive where everything else that requires an HTTP connection works fine on my system and it crumbles, but maybe there is a little bit that can be done on both sides? (NOD and BOINC). Yes I will post at the SETI forum too, but who knows?

EDIT: Two different PCs, same issue (one desktop and one laptop, XP PRO SP2, ZAP and Netgear router, if any of that helps)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

3. Atangel

Sorry, I searched and didn't come across anything (probably spelled it BONIC!)...

Thanks

And, of course.

btw (just read the thread) I am running the latest NOD 2.12.

I'll find and try the exclusion method first and will update here.

4. Atangel

Oh, Duh! I wished that had occured to me. Where I think the original poster may have gone wrong.

The catch (maybe with BOINC) is that there can be multiple executables... BOINC has two in the root directory and then SETI has another in the project directory. Others do similiarly, Climate has 3 exes as well.

I went through and excluded them all.... It seemed to fix the issue. Of course, that doesn't fix the underlying issue. But AMON will get anything hopefully during its part of the process (BOINC pushes Exes from the web server. Something of a discussion at the BOINC development forum about what kind of remote security issue this may pose).

SETI@home - 2004-09-02 17:12:17 - Scheduler RPC to http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_cgi/cgi succeeded
    SETI@home - 2004-09-02 17:12:17 - Message from server: Not sending work - last RPC too recent: 47 sec
    SETI@home - 2004-09-02 17:12:17 - No work from project

If there is a debug setting somewhere I can set I'd be happy to re-enable protection for those executables.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  5. Blackspear

Can you still send a email to support@eset.com and place a link to this thread and the one that I gave you, as they are currently working on a fix, and what you have posted may be of assistance to them...

Cheers :D

6. Atangel

Done. Will update when there is something else to post.

7. Blackspear

8. Atangel

They are aware of the issue and have asked me to test a .dll file for them, so they are on it. So far so good, but I haven't completed enough work to upload any data yet. My fingers are crossed.

I've always like their support, btw. Just love support@nod32.com !

9. Blackspear

Good to see Atangel, thanks for keeping us up to date with your progress...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.