Immunet tested in MRG

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pedersen, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedersen

Pedersen Registered Member

2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I noticed this morning. Great job. We'll see how things go in the near future. :)

3. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I'm sorry but a test on 10 different infections doesn't mean or prove anything. Let's talk about, first what are the percentages of users that are going to get caught by these zero-day threats, very small, now what are the percentages of getting infected with all the threats that exist in the wild, much higher!

There are 1000s of infections in the wild and the real test is when an application has been put through real world usage, not some simple test like this.

I honestly hope no one is going to go out and trust using an AV app now based on this little test!

5. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Makes me want to get rid of AVG now that it cant detect anything 0 day. :rolleyes:

6. shadek

shadek Registered Member

These tests give a brief preview of what the detection against 0-day threats is. Once these tests are getting closer to a hundred in numbers, you could start making conclusions.

7. jlo

jlo Registered Member

The tests do not seem correct. I notice Norton missed quite a few samples yet on all testing I have seen and done if the file is not recognised they say do not download.

Does this count as a fail as Norton is one of the best products out there with regards 0 day threats??

Cheers

James

8. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I wonder that myself. When file is downloaded, Insight will warn you it's not safe (for instance, a new worm which has been seen by less than 50 clients and not been analyzed yet). Is this ignored during the test?

9. Sveta MRG

Sveta MRG Registered Member

Yes, we are aware of that feature and would grant Norton a pass IF we got a warning, in cases when Norton failed, there were NO alerts that would point out the file is malicious.

Regards,
    Sveta

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  10. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hmm I am very suprised at this. Was Norton allowed to connect to the internet.

In all tests I have seen Norton is pretty much bullit proof. even if one allows the program that insight suggests blocking then normally Sonar comes in to play and terminates the program all though there can be some delay.

Sorry as I have taken the thread a little off topic.

Kind Regards

James

11. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I'll take your word for it, Sveta.

I am downloading new samples from MDL and NAV 2011 clearly warns me. It's just hard for me to believe NAV wouldn't warn about a brand new malware if it's downloaded in a normal way; being the case I test it against malware which usually has been seen less than 5 times in the cloud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.