Imaging software

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Fajo, Nov 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

How does the built in imaging compare "compression wise" with lets say Image for windows, SP, Paragon etc?
    Is there a way to change compression levels in it?

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

My image on a fresh system is 8gigs with the Windows 7 Imaging, with Reflect its around 5gig's. But unless I'm backing them up to DVD (which I'm not) I honestly don't worry about the image size. As for changing options like compression I really don't know as I have not messed with it much other then to make a image.

3. Raza0007

I am assuming that the 5 GB with Macrium is with the "standard compression"?
    Compression is important if you have limited space on your hard drive. A 3 GB difference is huge.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have Acronis TI 9 on my old laptop, it works but it is very slow indeed (40 minutes to restore an image of 7 GB). ShadowProtect for two laptops which are my daily workhorses: fast, reliable, and expensive (I've just restored an image of 5 GB on my Asus netbook in 3.5 minutes + 1 minute to load the recovery CD, now that is faster than making a cup of coffee).

People buying Norton should realize that it is using the core technology of ShadowProtect. Maybe Norton adds some more features, but ShadowProtect, if money is not an issue is arguably one of the best.

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Frankly in a world where 500gig HD's are very common I'm surprised people would be worried about space. But meh maybe that's just me.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

thats exactly the reason its so important, imaging my 500gb + HD takes up A LOT of space, so as much compression as possible to be able to fit it into another HD is needed.

7. Raza0007

Yeah, I agree, but I am still using the 160 GB hard drive that came with my Dell laptop. I was waiting for some competition in the 500 GB 7200 rpm 2.5 inch drives category, so I was holding back on the purchase.

I guess, I should upgrade to WD 500 GB 5400 rpm drive in the meantime, as I am literally running out of space.

Currently, I have set a limit of 14.5 GB for backups (1 full + differentials). My full backup is 11.6 GB. So, you can understand my reasons for seeking maximum compression.

8. Technic

Technic Registered Member

I am happy Macrium user. :D

I used free version first then I bought it. I have restored my drive image many times without problems. For me it is RELIABLE. Linux and WinPE rescue medias are working 100%. So far...:p

9. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Frankly if your backing up 500Gigs of data you should be using a offsite HD, not a imaging program to protect you.

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I agree,imaging only the system partition which consist mainly OS with programs is important if you like to get back fast to windows in the event of crash or other horror.
    My partition is 12 gig and i'm back to windows in 4 min. after restore.
    And yes personal data is on external USB drives.

11. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

Yup...PQDI....I remember doing FAT16 copies from a bootable floppy disk with that program.

Used many versions of Ghost over many years, True Image, been using Paragon lately.

12. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

The one I really like thus far, is the one built into Windows 7. Seems to do its job well and had no issues with it and best of all its free.

13. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Yep, I'm using Win 7 imaging now since I've had several successful restores. Paragon has been the work horse and a good one too, but I like using the OS and its features.

:thumb:

14. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

With the Free Paragon License they were giving out. I decided to try them out and WoW just WoW.

15. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Paragon imaging programs have been good for my setup, and I'm glad you've had a "WoW" experience with them too.

16. LenC

LenC Registered Member

My experience is identical to Osaban's. I have TI 9 on two old computers - it is slow, but it works (with some glitches I've learned to live with). I read too many bad things about later Acronis versions and just didn't want to take a chance. I have Shadow Protect on newer Vista computers - it works perfectly and is fast. It is expensive, but certainly worth it. Great product!

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Yeah, the free Paragon was nice. The built in Windows backup won't work for me due to a locked file that it can't back up. The Macrium looked promising but even the free version wanted to activate itself, and was never able to do so leaving me unable to test it. If a poorly working activation system stops me from being able to use a free product I'm never going to buy their paid one. :thumbd:

18. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

A friend of mine bought a copy of ATI 2010 and didnt use it long before he called me trying to sell it. I told him I didn't want to buy it but he agreed to let me try it out since I haven't ever used Acronis. I have heard all kinds of stories, good and bad, about ATI so I had to try it. I love the features included, especially the try and decide. I really don't know how it works or anything because I couldn't get it to work but I like the idea. So bottomline is that after I installed and saw all the features I was really wandering why I had not tried this sooner. ATI has some really cool features but the problem was that the only ones that worked for me were the backup and restore (which is the most important) and it did successfully convert an Acronis backup to a Windows backup. I couldn't believe that out of all those features these were the only ones that would work so I reinstalled, I tried contacting support (which was an awful experience) and still could get nothing more to work. Maybe it was something to do with my computer, I don't no. Has anyone else had any problems with it?

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i used to use acronis and gave up with just to many issues and far to slow of backups. i then went to shadow protect. great program but expensive imo and i had a few issues with it doing a restore for me with a couple win 7 machines using the newest version 3.5.

i have switched to macrium paid version and it is simply fantastic. i have just to it out backup and restored prob 30+ times on various machines without a single fail. its very fast and i love the boot media for it.

i also tried paragon but was not as impressed and i didnt like the way it did a few things myself. i may give it another shot.

what did you find different from macrium to paragon? and am i right you were using macrium free?

20. dcrowe0050

zfactor I have used both of those programs also and the biggest difference for me was the interface and speed. Macrium is easier to use and it does what it does quick, Paragon is great also but I have not used the newer free versions so they might be a lot better. \

By the way zfactor, love the signature Aquateen is great and I don't see very many fans to often.

21. layman

layman Registered Member

Yeah. Everybody. Acronis has developed a terrible reputation when it comes to software quality. I gave up on their product line, because long observation convinced me they lack a professional development process. Any idiot can brainstorm marketable features; and shipping a product that actually works requires much more than cranking code. I don't see evidence that Acronis executives have any clue about managing the development of software as product.

By contrast, Macrium is on its game. When they ship, the software is solid.

22. pot2pan

pot2pan Registered Member

Yes ATI is a b-o-b.

Version 10 was good, but the last 3 versions are hopeless. Versions are now released as bags-of-bugs (b-o-bs) that are not fixed by the time the next version is released, which is a b-o-b that is not fixed by the time... next version .. which is a b-o-b .. a b-o-b .. a b-o-b.
    I gave up at ATI 2009.

Imaging software reliability is immensely more important to me than features. I am now using Drive Snapshot. It is basic and functional. I am very happy with it.

23. dcrowe0050

like I say this is the first time I had ever used it, and the last. I really like macrium, it is definitely the easiest to use with the most necessary of features and has never failed me. I may even stick with the free version because it is all I need

24. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I' m a old die hard SP user for many years,am quite satisfied with it.
    Just for fun tried Macrium Reflect free yesterday and must admit it did what its made for.
    Recovery environment load much faster as compared with SP and GUI is more transparant also.
    Only hiccup sofar are backup/recovery times,its way much slower then my trusted SP.
    To recover 21 gig it took 40 min.SP same image 9.53 min.
    Backup took for same amount 13.45. SP 9.41 min.
    So in a nutshell its reliable/solid software on a snails pace but good stuff more so because its FREE.

PS. There is quite a difference in time between Backup and Recovery !?!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What version of 7 has it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.