Imaging software that lets you restore on windows system partition?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by arran, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

Hi what imaging software is there that lets you restore on over the top of your existing windows system on the same partition using without having to use a rescue cd disk??

I have tried so far windows image 2 and Macrium reflect both comes up with error saying this partition is currently in use by operating system.

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'd be surprised if there is a way. Beyond the how, why would you want/need to overwrite an active OS while it's still running? o_O

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think you are going to find the answer to that is no. Some like Acronis, do start in windows, but they have to boot to a special partition and run another environment from there. That's about as close as you get.

What's wrong with using a rescue CD?

4. arran

arran Registered Member

Why would I need to keep an OS which is corrupted?

and mainly because I don't have any other spare partitions for it to be restored to.

surley there must be some imaging software which can do a restore during a reboot?

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes, Acronis and probably Paragon too. They will reboot n restore ur C drive/ partition.

6. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

What do you have for an image to restore?

Do you expect this program to recognize the format of your restore image?

If the OS is corrupted, then you have the option of repair Windows install, depending which version you're running.

Otherwise you must have a good image you want to restore that you took before the corruption occurred.
    :doubt:

7. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

arran, there may be some missunderstanding here. All (disk) imaging programs allow you to restore your system image over your existing Windows volume, but very few imaging programs allow you to initiate that recovery process from within Windows (no imaging program can actually perform the system restore from your Windows volume).

The ability to initiate the restore from within Windows can be very convenient when your OS is operational but perhaps corrupted or infected. Of the two imaging programs that I use, Acronis True Image is able to do this quite easily. Upon specifying the location of the image to be restored and where you wish to restore it, ATI reboots the system into its Linux environment and automatically continues with the restoration.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  8. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Fd-isr can do, but that does not come under imaging software.Acronis TI can do it i beleive.

9. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

R-TT Drive Image works by rebooting and loading a small app that launch that can read from the image and restore the system partition. Nice on CD-less PC and when you don't have a bootable usb (the publisher says it's useful for 'blades").

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

FDISR can't do it either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.