Imaging Program not named Acronis/Ghost

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Access Denied, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Are there any other programs not by Symantec or Acronis that can backup to DVD? I am sick of losing data with both of these. Asinine with what they charge us for the software.

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Eliot,

I think the first was on Langa's list as the best,

www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html

this second one is freeware but I did not have time to check
    it out,
    www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

HTH,

Regards.

3. Access Denied

Checking them out now. Many thanks MICRO. I have lost data for the last time with those 2, lol. It is always something with my data backups. OS backups work great. Go figure. :(

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Why not use a second hard drive to back up to, and then just use Nero to burn your data to DVD's.

I use Replicator from www.karenware.com to back up between the 2 drives.

Hope this helps...

Cheers ; D

5. Access Denied

I have 2 drives in RAID 0 for the OS and 2 more in RAID 0 for the data. I do backup the OS to the data drive daily with overwrites. I need weekly DVD backups of the data. I forgot about Nero Back It Up. Thanks Blackspear.

I like this Image for Windows alot already. Its backing up and verifying faster than Ghost and Acronis. Hmmm, 26$ for Image for Windows or free Nero It Up. I may just stick with Nero unless this backup DVD set shows me something that Nero does not provide.

6. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Eliot,

You may also want to test out Drive Snapshot.
    I have not not tested it out yet (still using Ghost), but it has been recommended.

You may already know this, but...
    Consider making your data array RAID 1 (mirroring). A RAID 0 array is twice as likely to fail as a single drive. With RAID 1, although more expensive, you guarantee against data loss from the inevitable hard drive failure. You still need to back up the data because of other sources of data loss even with RAID 1.

7. PeterVO

PeterVO Registered Member

Hello,

look at http://www.fssdev.com where the programme "Casper XP" is maybe something for you.

Kind regards,

PeterVO

8. Access Denied

Checked them all out and I am going with Image for Windows. Thanks everyone for the advice, info and posts. Nero can backup my data, but I will use Image for Windows for the OS. I love that little app. No wonder that it took #1 in that list mentioned above! :D

9. Access Denied

JUst incase anyone wanted a review of Image for Windows:

I have imaged and restored to and from 3 different SATA and 2 RAID controllers. All have went just fine, and fast. It makes bootable DVD from any DVD backup which will auto restore if you don't want to make any changes to the restore. Overall, I give it a 10/10 and the best image app I have ever used. :D

Regards,

Eliot

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Another point worth mentioning is that Image for Windows supports x64. From my tests on x64, IFW has been flawless when imaging to or restoring from HD or DVD. Good app.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.