Imaging prgrams for Linux distros

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Dregg Heda, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Are there any imaging programs working with Linux distros, particularly the main ones like Ubuntu? Thanks.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

3. tlu

tlu Guest

4. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

If you want a easy to use paid product (lifetime licence) with support, TerabyteUnlimited Image for Linux is a good choice.

They have a trial available. So you can test if its really worth the money.

5. tlu

tlu Guest

Do you know if it supports ext4?

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

From the user manual, however it could be outdated.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i emailed the terabye unlimited around a month ago and asked about ext4 support and they said they would support it soon but didnt give an eta.

8. tlu

tlu Guest

I had contacted the Terabyte support just a few minutes ago and will inform you about their response. (As a matter of fact I have a license for that app but haven't used it for a long time.)

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

CloneZilla works well with all filesystem, including compression and whatnot.
    I've used it with my new quadruple Ubuntu install running Ext4, no issues whatsoever.
    Mrk

10. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, that is clear. Nevertheless Terabyte might be an interesting alternative particularly if you one has a license from old Windows ages. ;)
    But quite frankly I don't have an overview of how both apps compare.

11. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Sorry, I use it on Suse Linux with ReiserFS. I don't know about ext4.

Do let us know what is the response from TerabyteUnlimited.

12. tlu

tlu Guest

I only got an email with a link to their newsgroups. I searched for ext4 and found some recent posts from Terabyte support that suggest that the app seems to work with ext4 so-so, but it's not yet officially supported. So we have to wait a bit. I guess that the fact that ext4 will be the default file system for Ubuntu Karmic might accelerate their decision to doing their homework.

13. ad67

ad67 Registered Member

Although Paragon Drive Backup appears to be a Windows app, I have used the rescue CD to make an image of my Linux partition and have successfully restored this image several times. I have not seen anyone mention using this app to backup Linux; it seems to work - is there some limitation that I am missing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.