imaging in genral.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by lodore, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    is there an easy way to get shadow protect desktop to create one image a day? i dont really need hourly incremental backups all i need is one image a day.
    any ideas?
    the schulder doesnt seem to have that option.

i know i can make just one image a day with paragon but the only issue is that when the backup starts it makes the mouse go really slow and i cannot work while its backing up. well i havent tryed on my new pc yet (quad core) since its a xmas present. but it made my mouse go slow on my current machine and my older machine. sometimes when i try and mount the image as a drive letter it throws an error. i reported it to paragon months ago and they havent relaease any updated build to fix it yet. i will report the error to them again in a sec. i dont want to not use paragon due to one error.

thanks in advance
    lodore

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My logical mind says that a daily backup is possible, although I admit that it is confusing, simply because the word "daily" is missing in the options.

1. Under Scheduled backups, choose "Weekly" and then mark EVERY day of the week under Full backups.
    Only Sunday is marked as default and you have to mark Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday as well.

2. Unmark also all days of the week under Incremental Backups, if you only want Full Backups.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Lodore

ALthough I haven't looked, I am sure you could do it with the scheduler and continuous incrementals. Just a matter of picking start and stop time right.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks Erik.
    I have thought of some ideas of how i can use shadow protect desktop in a very smart way.
    I will follow your advice for backing up C:
    im wondering whats the best way of backing up my data partition E:
    first hard drive has the folowing
    C:40gb(vista home premium)
    D:10gb (for windows 2000 pro) not installed yet.
    E:200gb(data)

second hard drive one 250gb partition.
    my aim is to backup the first drive in to folders on the second hard drive.
    if vista works with no issues i wont bother installing windows 2000 pro.
    whats the best way of backing up E: in your opinion?
    should be to a folder most likely called Data backup on F: im guessing.
    i think F: is the second hard drive letter.

@peter can you help me work out how to use the image manager?
    i couldnt seem to work out how to set it up properly. like how to set it up to colapse incremental images and also how to set it up so i can limit the amount of imcremental images?
    i wouldnt have a problem with say hourly incremental images of C: as long as i can work out how to setup image manager properly.
    lodore

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I certainly would create a folder for "Backup System" and "Backup Data", the names are yours choice of course.
    I backup my data with Karen's Replicator, but ShadowProtect can do that job also, including the compression, which will reduce the required backup space.
    Incremental backups of your data partition is also something to keep in mind.

Using an internal harddisk for backup is of course less safe than an external harddisk, because an internal harddisk is constantly on-line and therefore more vulnerable to malware. One destructive malware can destroy your second harddisk.

Your second harddisk could be :
    1. One partition for data.
    2. One partition for backup of System and Data and use folders to separate them.
    I wouldn't do this myself, but I guess you can't afford an external harddisk yet.
    The bottom line is that you didn't cover the worst scenarios.

The safest setup is :
    1. First harddisk = Windows + Applications
    2. Second harddisk = data
    3. External harddisk = backup of first and second harddisk.
    Don't buy your external harddisk too small, in your case I would buy one of 500gb. Having some elbowroom is always handy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.