imaging from larger hd to smaller hd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lore379, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lore379

lore379 Registered Member

source is 53gig and information is 25gig (27 gig unused)
    destination hd is 40gig.

unable to image from media to new computer and hd.

Step1: load last disc
    step2: restore disk or partitions
    step3: select C:\
    step4: "No I do not want to resize" selection
    step5: drive C is grayed out and cannot continue.

Selecting MBR and Track 0 (step3) would continue, however, nothing gets imaged (restored) after lots of disc loading back n forth.

If I choose "yes i want to resize" (step4), then i load disc over and over for 15mins and (i got pissed) shut down the computer. What is the way to restore to a hd less than the original vlaue? I have no problem imaging to a higher capacity hd, but not lower. Plz help.

Also acronis seems to have problem recognizing image from media as i have "volume1" in the bootdisc, and restoration fails to read volume 1. So is it advisable or problemic to have bootdisc and image in one dvd?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

It is inadvisable to backup directly to dvd media, as inviting a feature as it seems. As you have found out the real PITA is when you come to restore from them. I remember another user referring to it as the dvd shuffle. :D
    If your source is still viable, try the Clone feature, but use it from the bootable CD media, not from the installed TI software in Windows.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello lore379,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that in order to resize the image Acronis True Image has to rearrange data, and when it spans over several removable media items, it causes media swapping. You can copy all parts of the image to another storage device, and then restore.
    Please clarify if you used "Media components" setting to create a bootable dvd with an image?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. lore379

under backup, i selected manually options, and went to additional settings, then selected all the options for boot (safe and full) and it spanned to 4 dvd. However, my main question is imaging to a smaller hd. I have a case from ...showpost.php?p=769388&postcount=5 with Menorcaman saying something about checkbox adjacent to parition so i can resize.

If i am comprending this correctly, I have to resize via step4 and then when done, (guess program places me back to step3) and select MBR and Track 0. Thus finishing the process of recovery.

I also like to note if universal install to another hd & computer, windows still failed to start unless repaired (i only experimented w/ vista). I thought universal install is suppose to take care of that.

5. Acronis Support

Hello lore379,

Note that you can restore the image archive to a smaller drive/partition as well. In this case the target drive/partition should be at least the same size as the uncompressed image data.

I believe you are talking about Acronis Universal Restore option. Please note that Acronis Universal Restore is a plug-in for Corporate versions of Acronis True Image.

Could you please let us know the exact name and build number of Acronis True Image you use, which you can find in the Help -> About dialog, so we could provide you with the further instructions?

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. lore379

TI ver:9.1
    build:3854
    Yes i read lots of forms about ability to support, I however am not able to have that selection as stated in step5.
    There is a difference between the program's CAPABILITY and my SELECTABILITY. Obviously I'm not doing something right

Oh, and yes I'm talking about universal install also, thx for pointing out.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  7. Acronis Support

Hello lore379,

Please notice that the build 3854 of Acronis True Image (and Acronis Universal Restore) does not support Windows Vista. If you are using Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation, please download and install the latest build (3887) of both Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation and Acronis Universal Restore. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.
    Other versions of corporate branch of Acronis True Image do not have Windows Vista support implemented yet. Most likely, it will be implemented in the next build. We are sorry, but the exact time-frame is not defined yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.