Imaging Files and Folders

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by terrywc, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terrywc

terrywc Registered Member

My computer uses a number of external drives, although I have only two of them running at any given time. Sometimes only one is running, depending upon what I am doing.

Recently, I added two new external hard drives, one on which I put data, the other for backup. I tried using Acronis 9 beta to backup the data onto the second drive. I had originally tried an older version (build 768, I think) but I could not figure out how to copy data files without also imaging the C drive containing the OS. Version 9.0 allows one to choose files/folders, which I did. However, the backup stalled when 10% completed, about 9gb. There are the error messages generated:

1. Error - cannot find partition with path \local\hd_sign (0409D6F5)
    2. Failed to process pair script C:documents and Settings\W. Clinton Terry\Application Data\Acron. . .
    3. Image Creation has Failed

I am not sure why the program went back to my C drive to look for something under documetns and settings.... Obviously, I am also not sure what is happening here inasmuch as 10% of the data was copied prior to the failure.

Any way, does anyone have any thoughts?

Also, I could not end the task easily. I had to end the process through the task manager and even then, I also had to end the application as well as the task, which generated a nasty message from the task manager.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

W. Clinton Terry

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

For copying or backing up data files, using TI is overkill. Why not simply copy the data files over to the other drive using Windows Explorer, and then if you want to compress them use WinXPs built-in feature to do so.

3. terrywc

I guess my thought here was to be able to use the incremental backup feature which would be nice and quick because these data files do not change much. Also I like the verification of the copy. I am sure there are other ways to do this, but I am just not well enough versed in these things to know how. Thanks however for your reply.

Clinton

4. kiwi51

kiwi51 Guest

Karen's Power Tools includes Replicator. This programme whilst not having compression allows scheduling and incremental backups of files and folders and is free. Its at http://www.karenware.com. Well worth a look

True Image is best for drive/partition imaging and cloning with file/folder backup as a bonus :). BartPE TI plugin is essential for restore if you have external USB drives.

I use both programmes but find Replicator best to backup critical data files to external Hard Drives and TI to backup my system drive (which has my programmes on it)

I find this combination adequate for my needs and works well. I wouldn't use TI just for files/folders

5. terrywc

Thanks, this is very helpful and I will follow your strategy as it appears to be what I need to do as well.

If I may ask one other question, I would like to follow up on your comment about BartPE. What I have been doing is using TI to back up my C drive which has some data but mostly program files including the OS. I have also been backing up an external drive along with this C drive. What these backups do is treat the external drive as a partition, as you probably know. My C drive is not partitioned. When I look at these backups by assigning drive letters to the two partitions (drives) I see them as two different drives, as it should be. Now here is the question. When I restore these, which I have never had to do, can I restore just the drive containing my OS and not the other? Since the other drive only has data on it, there would, in all likelihood not be a need to restore it as if I have a drive failure it would most likely be the OS failing. In any event, I can view the image and then copy all that data back to the external drive if need be.

I am therefore not clear how BartPE comes into play.

My apologies for being a little dense of these matters, but I do try to maintain a consistent backup routine, although I have never had to use it in the 25 plus years I have been computing. Of course, I have had to copy back certain files and folders but never an entire image.

Thanks for allowing this extra question.

Clinton Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.