Imaging dual boot system/ dual partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gunga, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunga

gunga Registered Member

I've set up a dual-boot system (actually XP and a copy of same with different configuration and software) that I put on 2 partitions...I want to TI both of these into the same ASZ which resides on an external HD, and then backup each incrementally, of course. I presume that I can do this, provided the ASZ is large enough...the only worry being...being sure that I select the right images at the right time. I now have one drive imaged in ASZ and the other "out in the open",
    on a general backup partition with media files, but I would like to tuck it away, plus it really slows down defragging, as it is such a massive file. Any worries putting two complete images in ASZ? I don't want to risk losing anything....Thanks

Gunga

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

If you want to backup both partitions on a the same basis (frequency of backup) then I suggest that you do that by selecting to backup the disk which will include all partitions on that disk. If you wish to have different backup strategies for each partition then by all means backup each partition separately. In either case you can backup to SZ and there will be no conflict.

Just be aware that in order for you to restore a bootable partition and retain the ability to boot from that partition you need to restore the complete disk not just the partition that contains the Operating System.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Just to add that, if Gunga does to decide to create a Secure Zone, he must not activate the Startup Recovery Manager. Doing so will modify the Master Boot Record and hence cripple his dual boot capability.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.