Imaging boot partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by krosenstein, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krosenstein

krosenstein Registered Member

When imaging my boot partition, I've always booted from a TI CD.

Is that necessary?
    Can I image the boot partition from within WinXP?

The reason I'm asking is that I've recently encrypted by HD w/ PGP-WDE and to make an unencrypted image one must either (1) make the image after decrypting the drive or (2) make the image from within Windows after booting into the encrypted drive.

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Thats the only way I backup my c: system partition. I never use the boot cd or a bartpe cd. From my expierence it's 100 percent reliable for me when I backup through windows xp..

Usually after I make the image, I mount it in true image to see whats in it. That's my quick check to see if it backup ok, I don't do validations.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Backing up from within win shouldn't present any probs. The probs usually show up when you try to restore, which requires runing ATI in linux, and finding out the linux environment/drivers don't support your drives.

So that's something you want to test for at the outset.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello krosenstein,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image does not officially support third-party encryption software, so it's not recommended to create images of encrypted drives from Windows. It is always possible to create a raw data image of hard drive using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media though, which is the recommended method for such cases.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 11 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.