imaging backup

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by benton4, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benton4

benton4 Registered Member

This may be silly, but can someone tell me of a backup imaging program that will work well with ISR? I mean where I can save the snapshot I'm using to disk in the event my HD fails?
    Thank you for your time.

2. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

benton4, I use Ghost 2003 for my backups. In fact I did one this morning. The first weekend of the month. There is several that work fine, Image for Windows ,and Acronis True Image. I like Ghost 2003 for several reasons. I have 2 external hard drives. On is a SATA drive that I Ghost my image to and the other is an ATA drive connected via USB 2 that I archive a FDISR image to. I update my FDISR Image twice a week. If anything happens I'm ready. I even have a new HD under my bed in case my C drive was to die. I know it crazy but what the heck.

3. benton4

Thanks for the info. I was thinking since I have 4 snapshots on my drive that an image program would do all 4 at the same time, which would use alot of disks. Thanks again.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Benton, I image with an old version of Acronis, TruImage Version 6, and the now defunct PowerQuest DriveImage version 7. I have never had any problems CREATING an image, but I have never had to restore an image, because of FirstDefense. I have NO IDEA whether restoring an image or would work or not!?

Acadia

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Pretty dangerous not to test your restore. This is your very last hope in case of a disk crash, especially for your personal files. End of Reprimand (EOR) :D

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've never tested an image restore either. The catch22 is if you have a working drive, and try a restore and it fails......

One of the beauties of FDISR is you can using as an image for backup purposes by using the archive feature, and with that you can do non destructive testing. Love it.

EORC End of Reprimand Correction:D

7. ErikAlbert

Can the same method be used for partition D: or any other partition other than C: ?

8. Peter2150

I may be wrong, but I think FDISR only works with the bootable partition namely c:

Someone step and tell me if I am wrong.

9. ErikAlbert

BORCC :D
    If that is true, FDISR-snapshots can't be used as an image backup for other partitions than C: and that means, I still need an image backup software for my other partition, called D:, which contains my personal files and in that case I better include my partition C: as well in my image backup software. Using two different backup methods for C: and D: would be pointless.
    It also means that I still can use FDISR-snapshots to restore my system partition C:
    EORCC :D

10. benton4

Thanks for info. So it is possible then to archive a snapshot, say to a cd, and put it on a new HD in the event of a crash?

11. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

FDISR cannot to my knowledge be used that way . You can use the archived image to update your restored C drive,but you have to have a program to restore the image to your c drive first. You can pickup a new hard drive on sale pretty cheap. I have bought 2 160 GB Seagates for about 50 each. Then you can install it or for about another 25 put it in an external enclosure. Then you can be backedup. Right now Tiger Direct has 160 gb Seagate 44.95 after rebate.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  12. ErikAlbert

I'm going to separate "Image Backup/Restore" and "Snapshots" from one another. Both have nothing to do with eachother.
    First, I will take care of my "Image Backup", which is essential.
    Working with a computer without backup is irresponsible and backup will be my very last hope to recover anything in case of disk crashes, especially my personal files. An external harddisk is IMO the safest way.

I will also separate my OS from my personal files.

Restoring my system partition with a snapshot is more a very convenient gadget for me, but not essential.
    It will be a part of my security setup and those snapshots will be stored on my internal harddisk.

13. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I always test a C: drive restore from any backup program I've purchased since I got FDISR. I've tested and successfully restored my C: drive from Acronis True Image 8 (Unfortunately, I never got the confidence in ATI 9 to do this), NT Backup (Windows XP's "native" backup program), Image for Windows, and BootIt NG (these last two are both from Terabyte and are very similar if not nearly identical).

They all worked fine with FD-ISR installed with the exception that one or more of these restore methods involved having to run Windows Recovery Console and using the "fixmbr" command to restore the MBR and then re-enabling FD-ISR's pre-boot. Sorry I can't recall which one it was -- most likely it was ATI 8.

I always have an "NT Backup" or already known to be restorable backup available before I test a restore to my C: drive.

At worst (a disaster not related to the above testing), I've had to re-install Windows XP from scratch, install FD-ISR and then copy in an Archived snapshot to boot from to regain the system as last archived -- for me that runs 5 or 6 days old at most (I'm on business trip, haven't remoted into my home desktop yet, and don't recall exactly).

14. ErikAlbert

I wouldn't like to have that problem. It's a fix, but not natural. I think I've read this somewhere else too at Wilders.

15. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I'm almost certain that what you're recalling, Erik, is that Acronis True Image won't record and restore the MBR unless you image the entire physical disk or unless the physical disk has only one partition, the system drive.

Acronis, IMO, should do a better job of making this limitation clear to new users. It seems like a new user writes into their forum almost every week asking for help with this problem and, like you, most users are NOT pleased to learn that they have to take such extreme manual measures on their own to recover a system that they didn't know ATI had "broken".

Of course, ATI's limitations ideally shouldn't drive someone away from FD-ISR. I think it's ATI that needs fixed.

16. ErikAlbert

Thanks and I fully agree with you. My choice for Image Backup was Terrabyte's BootIt NG anyway.
    But I will test BootIt NG also.

I see it this way :
    Or I restore my system partition from a snapshot on my internal harddisk without any difficulties
    Or I restore my system partition from a image backup on my external harddisk without any difficulties.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  17. Perman

Perman Registered Member

TI 8 and FD-ISR

Hi, I have had TI 8 for sometime,and like to have FD-ISR as well. However, there is a problem: Soon after installing FD-ISR, i lost TI 8's pre boot options(press F1 option), which is replaced by FD-ISR's preboot option(press F11 option). If i go back to TI8 to reactivate "statup recovery manager" option, i get TI 8's preboot option(press F1 option) back, but loose FD-ISR's preboot option. I am confused. Is there any method to keep both programs' preboot options co-existing? Both are excellent programs and worth any hard earned $$ to keep. Thanks.

18. Peter2150

Re: TI 8 and FD-ISR

Keeping both yes, but keeping both Preboot, I suspect not. Why not do away with the preboot for TI. THe only reason you'd need TI with FDISR, is if your hard drive fails completely in which case TI's preboot is useless.

Pete

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,Pete: thank you for prompt advice. I have installed FD-ISR, and have since creates 2 snapshots(primary and secondary) and keep its preboot option for now. Hoping that in the event of corrupted partition C (in where these two snapshots locate), i can use TI's bootable rescue CD to restore image from its secure zone partition, instead of reinstall the WHOLE THING. Of course, the ultimate solution shall be a external HD. Thanks.;)

20. ErikAlbert

Right you are. That's the one that will save your skin in the worst scenarios, except when the external harddisk crashes. ;)
    My advice : test backup and restore, not the backup only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.