Imaging apps to compliment FDISR

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by twl845, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi, Can anyone give me the names of imaging apps other than Acronis which are just as good? I'm not saying I wouldn't buy Acronis True Image, I would just like to investigate other equally good ones as well. Now that I have FDISR, I want to complete the arsonal at some point in the near future. :D Can anyone give me the web site URL for ShadowPerfect? I tried to Google it and found nothing.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

1. ShadowProtect (excellent : very reliable, professional, fast and userfriendly)
    2. BING/IFW/IFD (very reliable, a bit archaic, not userfriendly)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I'd be hard pressed to debate that list. The only disadvantage to BING/IFW/IFD might be lack of the same control over the MBR and Track 0 compared to SP and ATI

4. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

ShadowProtect dont work on vista right?

5. ErikAlbert

Next version 3.0 loves winVISTA.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Now, of the two, which is more user friendly and all around a better app, ShadowPerfect or Acronis True Image Home? :)

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i havent tried ShadowPerfect, but ATI is userfriendly and it has a nice UI.

8. Peter2150

I don't see any reason why the Recovery CD wouldn't work. Just the desktop of version 2 won't work.

I may test that this weekend.

9. Peter2150

In terms of user friendly I would lean toward SP. In terms of reliablity, I've torture tested SP, and it has won hands down.

Pete

10. ErikAlbert

ShadowPerfect ? I guess you mean ShadowProtect. I've seen its GUI, it looks like ATI, some users even say its more functional. BING/IFW/IFD is not userfriendly.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Yeah i just copied from twl845's post :p

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

OK, agree ; good recommendations: SP and Terabyte's tools.

I have no reason to doubt that SP is a great tool and I've tentatively played to date. Will be having a long look at v3 when available.

The old chestnut:
    I can assure you it is very user friendly and the combined package (BootItNG/IFW/IFD/IFL and the free add-ons) gives a multitude of options.

There may be easier tools to use. I accept that.
    Compare if you will a "suite" of security options: arrives and installs fully configured: cool. Nice GUI, works well.

Terabyte gives a "granular" layer of control and options not available with the same level of peace of mind as many (any) other apps. You will engage with this software on a level you have not experienced previously.

I'm not proposing to enter into another long winding discussion about merits of the different tools.

BUT: for the $:
    -Partition management beyond anything you may need.
    -Image from within and without Windows.
    -management of MBR at highest level.
    -compatabile with realistically any OS you might want
    -not beholden to MS for any tools or licenses
    -excellent support
    -RELIABLE to the nth degree. ( except Pete mangled something once :D )
    -Vista compatible ( if you want :p )
    -all external storage supported.
    - a fully functional partiton manager, image and restore utility with control of the mbr SITS ON A FLOPPY !!(or a CD or DVD for you young whippersnappers heh)

Heh: I've even seen users debug their HWare using the error messages BING gives back. lol.

For such serious hardcore software, I would submit that the GUI is VERY user friendly :)

Free fully functional trial

By the time you have finished this trial your knowledge of your box, your set-up, the boot.ini file, the mbr will have increased manyfold.

I agree, that the UI for Terabyte could ,heh, maybe look a little 'prettier', but dont be put off until you have seen what is under the hood.

Lol, it 's the car you always wanted: looks like a junkyard dog until you get in it, flays the others on the track, never breaks, all the hot chicks want to ride with you, even your kids would look up to you ;)

Beyond the UI, there are few if any tools that work better at any level.

This is the ONLY soft I have ever paid for that has never given me even a moments pause.

PS some one forgot to mention Paragon.
    Plus there are some very good open source imagers.

To further address the OP: no issues here with TU and FDISR.

Hey E-A: ROFL, love the new sig.

Regards.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Sorry for the title fumble (ShadowPerfect) I can't even copy.o_O
    At any rate, thanks to all for the recomendations. I'll check ShadowProtect and Terabyte out.:)

14. ErikAlbert

Longboard,
    BING/IFW/IFD is NOT userfriendly and I will repeat this over and over again, even when the majority says that it is userfriendly.
    Userfriendliness is based on the very first contact with a software without the knowledge of the software and the purpose of the software.
    Even the most complicated software is userfriendly, once you know how it works, but that isn't called userfriendliness.
    Our idea of userfriendliness is totally different. That's the problem. :)

15. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@E-A :thumb: I know
    lol i suspect I am in a majority of a minority: I think that's what I mean :blink:

:ninja: at least me and sukarof and one or two others anyway:ninja:

:D :D

16. ErikAlbert

Longboard,
    That's right, I'm the first one to ditch FDISR, if I ever find something better, but that won't happen quickly, because there is no competition.
    ATI goes and will be replaced by ShadowProtect v3.0
    I can't afford feelings when it comes to softwares and certainly not at work. :)

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

SO TRUE!! I lived and breathed on my computer for five years by using GoBack before it was a Norton, or even a Roxio product (not to be confused with Raxco.) I never believed that anyone could possibly come up with a product better than GoBack, but FirstDefense blew GB out of the water. The day that someone comes up with something better, it is bye-bye to FD ... if any company out there can improve on near perfection, then FAR OUT ... but I am not holding my breath.

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.