Imaging and Restore question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AnthonyN, Oct 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyN

AnthonyN Registered Member

Hello,

Using TI9,

Assume a disk with two partitions C & D, and I make separate images of C and D.

Assume new HDD installed or reformat of the old C partition.

If I were to restore the C partition, would the HDD boot?

an

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Usually, but not necessarily. It depends on whether the MBR is saved with the C: or is still present after the restore.

3. AnthonyN

yea, that's the real question. Is the MBR backed up with the C partition?

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello AnthonyN,

No. The MBR isn't included in the image if you only backup some of the partitions of a multi-partition drive. You need to backup the whole drive (ensure the tickbox next to the drive number is checked) if you want to include the MBR. This will enable you carry out a "bare metal" bootable restore without first having to fdisk and format a replacement drive.

Regards

5. AnthonyN

Thanks, I had to restart the backup because I did not check the tick next to the drive. However, I did select all the partitions.

Something I noticed, is that 3 partitions would have been 4 operations. What I mean is, it looks like the MBR would have been written by selecting all the partitions OR checking the DISK tick, because the first operation is to write the partition data.

How come the MBR is not backed up when the system disk is backed up?

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Perhaps to allow restoration of a system partition to a different partition/system disk without overwriting the other MBR? However, Acronis Support have stated that they may include this capability as an option in some future version of TI.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.