Image with or without pagefile?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tommy, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I am tryiling ATI and have a simple question.
    Is it nececarry for a later restore of particion C:\ that the pagefile.sys is also be backuped into the image?

2. Dina

Dina Registered Member

I dont think the pagefile is included every time you create an image. It wouldnt be necessary too.

3. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I just hace done a first full image, and pagefile.sys is integratet with about 600 MB. So i can set the pagefile on the exclude list, even for the first full image?

One more question. 'TrueImageMonitor.exe' and 'TimounterMonitor.exe' must run in the background, or can they be disabled?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

this isnt an official answer per se, but HTH.

5. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Ok, thats understandable, but why than putting a placeholder of 600 MB into the image. As Windows wrights it new after the reboot, a 1MB pagefile in the image would do the same efect, no?

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ive never tried exploring the image for the pagefile, but my pagefile is 1 gig and my images are less than that (OS only).

also i skipped ur second question about the startup entries. heres one thread (short) and another (longer)

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Tommy,

Some people choose not to let Windows automatically manage the size of the Pagefile but instead will set it to a fixed size. In this case, my guess is that Windows would choke if TI created a new Pagefile based on a "placeholder" size that was different to that which was set up originally.

TI has to cater for both situations, hence the reason I believe the "placeholder" will always represent (note I said "represent", not "be equal to") the size of the Pagefile at the time the snapshot of the image was created.

If the above assumption is wrong then I stand redfaced and corrected :p.

Regards

8. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Good explanation, logical reason but IFD/IFW don't backup the pagefile and hypernate file, so i think it can be skipped.

9. Menorcaman

Not having a Pagefile is different to recreating one that's the wrong size. If it doesn't find one then I believe Windows will just recreate a new one. So why doesn't TI just ignore the Pagefile altogether? Probably because it needs to ascertain whether there is sufficient room on the destination drive (could be a smaller drive) for the restored data plus the Pagefile.

Regards

10. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

In this case i agree with you, but as i only use it on my Laptop and there will be no changes on partition size, not a lot more application (i install only what i need on the laptop) etc. i will skip it, also for space reasons on the second partition.

11. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I wonder if Windows would indeed recreate a missing pagefile without complaining.

I remember the time when I went to change the drive letter of my second internal drive which holds the pagefile. (I wanted to free the letter D: to assign it to the new partion I was about to add to the system drive). Disk Management didn't let me do the letter change due to the presence of the pagefile, it said. I was forced to temporarily create a pagefile on the system drive, remove the original pagefile from the slave's partition, rename the slave's partition, recreate the pagefile on the slave's partition and finally remove (optionally) the pagefile temporarily created on C:.

It's interesting: all other reference to the drive which changes the letter is updated without problem.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  12. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

It is my understanding that the pagefiles are not backed up, rather a fakey placeholder is used for each pagefile.

This allows TI to restore a drive with the proper size pagefile.

13. Menorcaman

o_O. See Post #4 above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.