Image Viewers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Firebytes, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Does anyone have any experience with either Xnview or Faststone Image Viewer? I have read everything I can find about them and as far as I can tell both are very good for free image viewers. I have even tried both very briefly and honestly I could probably go with either one and be ok. The only minus I have really read concerning Faststone is that it would pop up a window asking for a donation after a period of use. With Xnview I read a few places that it might not be as stable as Faststone.

Has anyone used either or both of them for any length of time? Did you have any problems with either as far as stability, speed, privacy/security issues, etc? I really only need/want one on my machine. I am asking here because I respect the opinions of Wilders members much more than the user opinions I have read at the various download sites.

Maybe one has an advantage over the other or maybe it's all just a matter of preference; you tell me. Just for your information, I will only be using the program for viewing and very light image manipulation. I have another program for more serious editing. Oh by the way, I already have Irfanview on one machine so I already have some experience with it and want something different on my other machine.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Of the two, I only tried XnView but I like it very much.

I would give Faststone Image Viewer a try but the custom UI doesnt sit well with me.

3. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

I've tried the latter. It's hard to say what's nice in an image viewer. Faststone is loaded, but that doesn't do it for me. I need one that's light, with only 2 features: zoom in with the scroll wheel, and the hand tool to move the image around regardless of size. That's what's nice to me. What you need to do with yours?

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Choices, choices, choices... :D My fav image viewer is FastStone. It took me a handful of minutes to figure out where everything was and from that point on, I've been off to the races.

I'm not aware of any nag screens for FIV. The first time you load it, it does take you to a thank you page at FastStone's website but it's a one time thing.

FWIW, I tried XnView for a while and never liked it quite as well as FIV.

FastStone does make a simpler, less featured viewer called MaxView. It's ok but I prefer the fancier version better.

If all you need is to look at photos/images quickly, for sheer load up speed, not many viewers beat IrfanView. It's UI is not very handy but it puts image on the screen in a flash...

5. smf

smf Registered Member

Tried them all. Faststone is the best. Go to full screen mode and move the mouse to the left side of the screen, then try moving to the top, lastly to the right. Really isn't anything easier. Great, flexible batch conversion too.

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

7. Firebytes

Both viewers will do the things I want...view thumbnails, view images full screen, change file types, minor image editing.

I appreciate all the replies so far. I will keep listening and use all the input I can get to make a decision. I definitely only want one viewer. Two seems like overkill to me, at least on my machine. If all else fails and I can't make a decision I guess I can always stick with Irfanview.

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Faststone is superb. Lots of features, (if you want to use them) - or great as a basic image viewer. It doesn't get much better!

9. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Another vote for faststone. Loads quickly, easy to use, etc. Re the "donation window", I've used faststone for about 18 months, and have never seen such a thing.

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Good old Irfan View is still being updated and to my experience after using all, its the fastest to load as well, doesn't really come with all the tools as in the other viewers but makes up with its great interface and speed.

11. Firebytes

I have decided to go with Xnview; for now anyway. It seems a better fit for me at the moment. I think it might open a tad faster than Faststone, it supports more file formats and I think I like the interface a little more. I have heard it uses less memory than Faststone too but I did not test that myself.

I believe both programs have their merits though and each is better in certain areas. Both seem to be excellent programs especially for free. I would say with these two programs it's just a matter of taste more than anything. You know, the Coke vs Pepsi type thing. Irfanview is definitley good too but as I said I wanted to try something different on my new machine.

I will keep Faststone in mind and may switch in the future and give it another go. Thanks to those who posted. I appreciate the input.

12. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

It's real easy to have both accessible and try more side by side comparison. Usually each will excel in different areas--that's why I have more than one readily available. See my post #6. Both should be able to be installed without conflicts.

13. Firebytes

I did install both and try them side by side for a bit while in Returnil's session lock. That is how I finally decided that I wanted to go with Xnview for now.

14. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I tried faststone, XN and Irfan and I cant remember why, but there was something I did'nt like about faststone.
    There was not much to choose between XN and Irfan, but I slightly prefered the UI in XN.

I never got on with the interface of Picassa, but some people love it...

Also worth a look is Photoshop Album starter edition, its free.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/starter.html

15. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

16. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have Picassa on my PCs but seldom use it. I do recommend it to friends and family and in general, they seem to like it better than FastStone, IrfanView, etc. Perhaps it's the GUI, or the way it organizes all photos on the PC.

I do think that from an organizational perspective, Picassa may well be the best free app currently out. Google has that part down very well...

17. Kilia

Kilia Registered Member

Hiya guys...I have used Irfan View for a number of years and really like it.

*pardon the plug*:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.