Image Verification ok; .tib file corrupt

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tubby, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tubby

Tubby Registered Member

I recently had to restore my C: partition using Acronis version 9. I have Acronis set to backup to a USB external drive nightly. When I chose the file to restore I checked the option to check the file prior to the partition restore. It verified fine but when the restore gets about 3/4 the way through it comes up with an error that the "File is corrupt". I've tried restoring from the USB drive, copying the file to another partition and restoring from the LAN. All give the same corrupt file error message but the backup file verification is good. I have a high-end system with good memory and the system is NOT overclocked. HELP! I've lost a lot if I can't get this to recover.

Todd

2. Maincat

Maincat Registered Member

Hi,
    Are you trying to restore using the same build version of TI? Make sure you are using a bootable CD of the same build or later as the backup file. That may help.

Regards,
    Steve

3. novak614

novak614 Registered Member

No ideas on your restore problem, but make sure to save the "bad" image file so that you can mount the image at some point and recover your data files if needed.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Todd, is the external USB drive a complete standalone unit or is it a disk in an external housing ?

If it is a disk in a housing then remove the disk and install it as an internal disk. Install the destination disk also as an internal disk. Boot from the TI9 CD and then try to restore the image.

5. Tubby

Tubby Registered Member

It was in a USB external casing. I've copied the file to a hard drive partition and tried to restore it and get the dreaded "File Corrupt". Like I said I boot to the True Image CD and verify backup file and it checks fine, but when I try and restore it, about 3/4 of the way through it fails. I've defragged the drive, error checked it, removed it and hooked it up directly to the machine, checked and replaced my system memory, and still the file is corrupt. Arrgggg! What good is a backup if the backup fails. :thumbd:

Now my C: partition won't take a fresh install of Windows. Acronis did something to the first byte of the disk and when I run the Windows XP install it shows up as a "RAW Partitition". I delete, format, and wipe the partition and it still won't take the fresh install. I don't know what to do except to low level format the disk. Thanks Acronis!

6. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Your original posting said
    If that is true then whatever you do don't do a low-level format because then you really will have lost everything.

Disks are very cheap. Suggest that you buy a new disk do a fresh install of Windows on that disk. Once you have Windows running (and updated) you will be able to deploy any number of utilities to try and recover your data.

TI9 does a good job most of the time. However, like with any software problems can, and do occur. You need to have a "Plan B" if your "Plan A" goes belly up. In my work TI9 is usually my "Plan A". If for whatever reason that fails then I must go to "Plan B", which in my case is a data recovery product known as SpinRite.

SpinRite is NOT a competitive product to Acronis TI. They do completely different things. Acronis TI will do the job 99% of the time and is certainly the product that I recommend to my customers.

However, Acronis TI does not deal with corrupt data or corrupt disks. For that you need a low-level utility that interrogates the disk in terms of its magnetic bits. And yes, SpinRite does work. Data and even disks that have become totally inaccessible to any other form of interrogation will usually be able to be recovered by SpinRite.

Click here : http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tubby,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

This is from another thread you have started:

Does this refer to the issue with restoring backup archive you have described in these threads?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=137895
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=137832

I am glad if you have successfully solved the issue, if not please find my suggestions in this thread you started.

Also, please try to avoid posting duplicate requests in the future as it makes us as well as other forum members do a double work sometimes.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.