Image to External Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mal76, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello All,
    Yesterday I had delivered a new Hard disk and External drive enclosure.
    I installed the hard disk into my computer set as slave and used Windows XP disk management to partition and format. I created 3 partitions, approx 39-17-17GB. All partitions worked perfectly.
    I then removed the hard disk and installed it into enclosure set as master.This has usb and 1394.I used 1394 and the drive was seen ok as were all partitions.
    I am able to use all partitions just the same as if it were my computer C drive.
    The purpose of the new external drive is obviously for backup.
    True Image 8 has been updated to .791.
    Next I created an Image archive full backup of my C drive in the same partition on my computer. (not the external).
    I was able to explore the image and all seemed to be ok and I have repeated the process.
    Next I copied and pasted into the largest partition and then (things get a bit difficult to explain here because several different things can happen.)
    If I click on the partition a popup can say The window is not accessable because of I/O device error. or if I try to look through explore image, then I might get popup not accessable the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. I then format the partition and try again.
    The other 2 partitions are ok and useable but not for the Image.I have tried on the others,and when the large partition has been formatted that to is ok again.
    True Image seems to work fine into my C drive.
    External Drive seems to work ok on all except Image archive.
    Any help much appreciated,
    Regards Mal76

2. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hi,
    I should have said in my post that I have tried to Image directly to the external drive also unsuccessfully.
    Thanks Mal76

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mal76,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

Could you please send the screenshots of the error to support@acronis.com describing in details what you are doing (are you restoring an image under Windows or from Acronis Bootable CD and so on). We will do our best in order to help you.

If you don't get any answer within 48 hours please send me a private message with you Acronis request number which will be sent to you in autoreply.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello Ilya,
    I have removed the Image from my external disk, so before going through the procedure again, I thought I would try to clarify a few things and I have written down precisely the message popups.
    I am not restoring at all.
    I am trying to put an image archive onto my external drive, by creating an image of my computer C drive onto my computer hard drive,and then copy and paste to my external drive
    Also tried saving image archive direct to external drive in the create image process.
    The Image by any method always arrives at my external drive.
    Also an Image saved to my computer C drive seems ok as I can explore the image.
    If I click My Computer and then the partition of my external drive where I have just saved or sent the image file to then I have had the message.
    E:\ windows is not accessable.
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    Or I have had the message
    E:\partition is not accessable.
    The File or Directory is corrupted and unreadable.
    I wrote these messages down when they appeared.
    After I get this second message I have to format that partition.
    Before the input of the image archive into my external drive it works perfectly.
    Hope some of this is a bit clearer.
    If I went through the process again and saw the same messages they would be exactly as above.
    Thanks for your help this far.
    Regards Mal76

5. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hi Ilya,
    I have just tried something else.
    OK I have the Image Archive in my external drive.
    I right click on it and choose EXPLORE it then takes me through a process of choosing a letter for the file, when that is finished I was able to explore the image with no problem.
    So I then went through the explore image from the true image screen and I could not explore without trouble again.
    I then repeated the first way by right clicking on the image archive in my external drive and choosing EXPLORE and once again I was able to explore the image with no problem.
    Now I am not about to jump to conclusions after only trying twice.but I thought I should update you on the problem.
    Am I doing something wrong when choosing through the True image screen??
    Best Regards
    Mal76

6. Acronis Support

Hello Mal76,

Could you please run "chek disk" tool? Please open "Start" -> "Run" and input the command:

chkdsk e: /r

Also please send Acronis Report (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317) to support@acronis.com.

Could you please describe the exact way you created image and explore it then? I couldn't quite get whether you are able to get to your external drive from within Windows Explorer and Acronis True Image. Does it depend on whether the image was created directly or copied to this partition from your internal drive?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  7. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello Ilya,
    1. If I create an Image and it is saved on the same partition ie.
    Full backup of C on C then all seems to be ok.I can verify and explore.
    2. If I copy that to a partition on my external drive then I may get the message Cannot copy "MY BACKUP".... File or Directory is corrupted or unreadable.
    3. When I did have an image on my external drive yesterday, I found that I had a better chance to explore it without crashing by...Right click on image file and then click on explore rather than doing that through the True image screen explore.
    I have just put an image on my external disk which I can explore, and seems ok.
    After that I ran chkdsk e: /r. and I could still run explore ok.
    When I saw your post re. chkdsk e: /r I had my other computer connected looking at this problem and I was unable to run checkdisk It said could not run because of something else being run.
    The problems on that comp are similar. That is Good Image on C drive then copy to external, file is corrupted.
    Attempt to image direct to external drive then message may appear ...INVALID FILE name or destination.
    Partitions became inaccessable so I had to reformat.
    I have to say that everything works ok on my external drive except true image.
    Thanks for your help.
    Mal 76

8. Acronis Support

Hello Mal76,

Could you please send Acronis Report to support@acronis.com? Please plug in your external drive before report creation.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Ilya,
    I did that report but when it reached 100% 0n 5 of 5. the report was only on screen a second.
    Where do I find that report?
    Is the report on my comp somewhere?
    Regards Mal76

10. Acronis Support

Hello Mal76,

Acronis Report is created in the folder which you can choose.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello Ilya,
    I do not understand I thought you were asking for the checkdisk report and that did not stay on screen long enough to save or screenprint, so I could not send that
    With regard to email I have sent to Acreonis support and included my system details.
    Regards Mal76

12. Acronis Support

13. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello Ilya,
    thanks for the explanation. I have sent the report.
    Regards,
    Mal76

14. Acronis Support

Hello Mal76,

If you don't recieve the answer within 48 hours please send me a private message with you Acronis request # which will be sent to you in autoreply (I suppose that you have already got this autoreply).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

15. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello All,
    this is by way of an update.
    I should have mentioned before that I was using Firewire 1394 connection to my drive, but as everything else worked ok on the external drive, then I did not suspect Firewire.
    The problems persisted as posted above until yesterday when I changed over to USB2. Now after a few tries at imaging and verifying and exploring image,
    it all seems to work ok. (Athough early days yet).
    I don't know if there is an issue with True image 8 and Firewire, any information about this would be appreciated as I would have liked to use it.
    Regards to All
    Mal76

16. Acronis Support

Hello Mal76,

Acronis True Image does support FireWire drives. Could you please download and run the following file

http://download.acronis.com/support/md5sum.exe

Please press the upper right button (marked "...") and choose the image you have created on your internal drive. Please save the number in the "MD5" string. After that please copy this image file to your FireWire drive (via FireWire connection) and perform the same procedure to see the MD5 checksum for the copied image. If the numbers are different it is likely that you have some problems with your FireWire connection (especially when dealing with large files of several gigabytes size).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

17. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hi Ilya,
    I have downloaded and run MD5 checksum. and followed the procedure you suggested.
    The MD5 sring numbers were precisely the same.
    Unfortunately or fortunately the Firewire works at the moment, so I will have to see how it goes.
    I am leaving it connected Firewire for now.
    Just as a reminder I would point out that, when I have trouble with Firewire,
    I have not been in a position to open the Image file for reasons inaccessable,
    corrupted and not readable. Therefor would not be able to run checksum.
    Thanks for the information and help, I will write back how things go.
    Regards,
    Mal76

18. davidk1

davidk1 Guest

I've not run into all the problems you describe in your posts, but my main problem was trying to access an image on an external firewire drive after a successfull creation.

I re-booted with the TI CD and could not access the drive very well or the image at all. I got all sorts of ieee1394 errors and it took forever for the drive info to display.

Another post in this forum found the answer. When dealing with external firewire drives, shut down your PC completely... power off. Then power back on, and the TI CD boots just fine, no errors, no delays, and sees the external firewire drive and access to the image. Davidk

19. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Thanks davidk 1,
    not quite sure about boot sequence.
    Do you mean Firewire is left switched on and connected. Then shut down pc and switch pc power off, then power on pc and start up?
    Firewire always connected?
    Got to go out now.
    Thanks for your input.
    Regards mal76

20. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Mal76,

Check out this link from <Post #19> onwards. I believe this is the post davidk1 was referring to.

Regards

21. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,
    Thanks for the link to the thread. At the moment everything is running ok re. Firewire, but have not attempted restore so I have not needed
    the CD. I don't know why its ok now where it wasn't before, but having tried usb which was ok, and then changing back to Firewire, it worked. I had just wondered if it was anything to do with the order that I swiched on Firewire.
    Because of the problems I had I thought it was useful to know of that procedure.
    Thanks again
    regards
    Mal76.

22. Davidk

Davidk Registered Member

I just leave the firewire drive on. Power down the PC and start up again. That solved my firewire problems. Could be unplugging the firewire drive - to USB - to firewire, re-initialized the firewire connection. Davidk

23. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hi davidk,
    thanks for clarifying that procedure. I will see how things go.
    Maybe as you say reconnection from usb to firewire could have something to do with it.
    If the situation changes I will post to let you know,
    Regards
    Mal76

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.