Image to different HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fawny, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fawny

fawny Registered Member

I have WinXP Pro installed with 512mb DDR ram.

I have several questions concerning using AI8.

I have an older 40gb HD that is partitioned for 3 Virtual HDs. C-drive has only the OS installed, D-drive has Programs installed and E-drive is only data
    C-drive size is 7.5gb with 5.3gb used.
    D-drive size is 5.0gb with 2.1gb used.

New HD is 80gb and has XP and Nortons installed only. Setup of the partitions is basically the same as the old HD with these changes.
    C-drive size is 10gb
    D-drive size is 10gb

As I see it now I have two options to get the images from the old HD to the new one.

Option 1:
    Install AI8 on the old HD and burn C and D images (on separate dvd disks),then use the AI8 rescue disk to restore the image to the new HD.

Option 2:
    Install AI8 on the old HD and burn C and D images (on separate dvd disks), then install AI8 on the new HD and restore the images from Windows using the dvd images. I know the manual says it is best to work from Window when possible.

Which is the best way to have success doing this?

Other questions:
    1. Can I save images to the E-drive on the old HD and then burn those images to dvd disks and still use them in either of the above options?

2. How well does AI8 span dvd disks if burning images directly to dvd disks? I know for a fact ghost 2003 does not do it at all.

3. Do compressed images work as well as uncompressed images?

4. How much does "Normal" compression reduce the file size for the images? In other words will it reduce the 5.3gb C-drive image so that it will fit on one dvd?

For now that is all I can think of.
    Thanks for any help

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Fawny, is it 200% impossible to attach the old and the new drive to the computer at the same time?? Even if it requires you to operate the PC with the covers off and the new disk balancing on a book at an odd angle?? If you can do that, then you can use the Clone facility to transfer + enlarge the old partitions to the new disk.

Alternatively, find a friend with ~30 GB of free space (heck, if you ask nicely your neighbourhood internet café might be willing to help you out), boot with the Rescue CD, and use the network to transfer the HD-image to your friends PC. Swap the old & new disk, boot again from the CD, and restore the HD-image to your new disk.

Otherwise, go for option 1.

Re Q1) o_O I don't understand the question.
    Re Q2) I do not know. I don't (can't?) write directly to DVD's.
    Re Q3) Yes. I only use the default level 3-4 compression, since higher compression don't really yield any big savings.
    Re Q4) 99% sure it will.

3. fawny

fawny Registered Member

Thanks Minimax

Is it possible to have both HDs at the same time? Yes they sure can be. Which should be the master and which the slave? I really would like to keep the partitions sizes the same as they are now on the new HD. Is the Clone facility part of AI8? I don't remember seeing that in the manual, but I can go over it again.

The reason I want to use an image instead of reinstalling everything is that I have one program that I really REALLY want to have and for whatever reason it will just NOT install on the new HD. LOL this may sound stupid, but can I just clone that one program and add it to what I have on the new HD now?

As far as finding a friend or internet cafe <none in my area I know of>, I would no idea where to start. I am kind of isolated in a rural area, but I will look around. I have been messing with different HDs for months trying to get this one program to install without any success, but it is on the 40gb HD. It just does NOT seem to like larger HDs, which makes NO sense at all.

Thanks again

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Does not matter. But don't change anything on your old disk (which I assume is set to Master on your Primary ATA/IDE controller?). We are talking plain, old, ATA/IDE disks, right? No fancy SATA? What else do you have attached to the Primary ATA controller(s)? Your DVD-writer as Slave? Or is the DVD Master on the Secondary ATA controller?
    As far as I know, but I am still using TI 6.0 which do not have the clone facility, so don't ask me how to use it. Alternatively, the manufacturer of your new 80 GB disk will with 99% certainty have a disk-cloning utility you can download for free. It will probably be more limited than TI's Clone facility, e.g. it will not allow you to stretch/resize the partitions during the copying.

5. fawny

fawny Registered Member

No there is nothing fancy about it. The old drive will be in a moblile tray and the new drive will be mounted inside the case as the slave on the same ide cable. Those will be only items on that ide cable. cdrom and dvd burner are on another ide cable.

6. Rockin Rog

Rockin Rog Guest

From what I know using Acronis TI8 and what your describing if you have the 40gig installed as Master, then install the 80gig as Slave.. .boot up off the 40gig again...now start Acronis-Click on Disk Clone-Click Next and you'll have the option of Automatic or Manual...In Automatic Mode your partitions will be stretched to fit the 80gig automatically which will likely make your C and D etc big as probably what you'd be happy with. If you want to adjust them yourself then click on Manual and simply type in the amounts to each as simple as selecting Manual-Click Next-Then highlight the Old Hard Disk (Your 40gig) then Click Next-Select the New 80Gig-Click Next-Then type in the new sizes.

If you choose Automatic (which I've done) it seemlessly go through the steps easy enough...It will reboot and do it's thing (it will state that after the reboot you will have to remove the old Hard-Drive (40gig)). After it rebooted I didn't as I was alittle unsure but it didn't harm anything and actually there was another step it seemed to do anyways. When I was sure I was booting off the new drive that's when I shut down...Removed the old one and I was in!

Now what I did was used software called GWSCAN burned to a CD and rebooted off that CD with the 40gig installed again and set as a Slave. Once I was in GWSCAN I formatted the 40gig by writing all Zero's to it and now I have a Fresh 40gig as a Slave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.