Image to and From a USB HD Fine?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Haner1984, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haner1984

Haner1984 Registered Member

Hey Everyone;
    I've read some posts here which seem to confirm my question, but I figured I should ask it just in case, I'm looking at using ATI in our factory setting to backup to Automation PC's around the floor (They all run Win2000, no worries their). Because they don't connect to the rest of our network for storage, I would like to be able to make the Images to a USB HD, such as say, a 350GB Lacie Drive (such as http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10510). What I would like to check though, is if
    1: Could I use the bootable media to create the image? As I would rather not Install Acronis on these computers given how rare we need to take backups (they don't change much at all). and then of course

2: Has anyone ever had any problems with the system loaded from the Bootable CD recognizing a USB Drive? (I had this problem when we tested out ghost on some PC's, never lost anything, but the Ghost System that loads from a Bootable CD could only see Internal Drives, not USB...which made it impossible to quickly restore an image).

I essentially just want to ensure that preferably without having to install Acronis on each one of these Factory Floor Automation PC's that I can Boot from a CD, take an Image directly to a USB Hard-Drive, and then later, likewise Boot from a CD, and select the image from a USB Hard-Drive to restore. USB is really the only solution, as many of these 'unique' computers build for a Factory environment don't have the space, access, or capability for second Internal Drives to restore to and take with...so it's essentially USB or Network, and Network isn't going to be an option at this point, unless the USB Sounds like it won't work, or will be troublesome...

Thanks for reading this insanly long post everyone!

Scott...

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes, TI will work strictly from the rescue (boot) CD without any of it being installed on the machine. It still means you need a license for each machine though. You will have to install TI on some machine to be able to create the rescue CD. The rescue CD must be re-created with each new update so it contains the new fixes and features.

TI works with USB drives. The sometimes problem is that the Linux rescue environment (the Linux is virtually invisible so you don't need to know anything about it) doesn't support the USB drive or some other component very well resulting in slow performance of not working at all. This usually means sending some data to Acronis so they can provide a fix for you. Don't let this put you off, I have a $30 USB case that I put a drive in and it works like a charm.

If you can use one of your systems for testing you can download the trial. The Windows component will let you create and restore for 15 days and the trial boot CD it creates will let you restore (only) which is why you will need the Windows componnent installed for the trial version. The boot CDs are machine independent.

3. Haner1984

Haner1984 Registered Member

Thanks for the Reply Seek, it's good to know that Acronis will do what they can to help if some problems are encountered, I'll look into giving the Trial a run in my test environment. Up till I was hired at this Factory, they had no local IT, and it's kinda worrysome that a Factory which handles a large portion of 'Western Canada', has absolutly no backups on their Automation Computers...hence, I'm looking for a solution, without spending a massive amount of money (as with any large company...Money is 'tight', despite this being a Vital Requirment :p).

Thanks!

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Haner1984,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, as seekforever said it can be done. Also he is right about Acronis License Policy. According to Acronis software licensing policy, you should purchase one copy of Acronis program per every computer where it will be used. You can find End-User License Agreement in the respective User's Guide. Would like to add that Acronis True Image Bootable CD is hardware independent and you can create Bootable Rescue CD on any PC and then use this disc to backup/restore different computers.

Yes, as seekforever mentioned some USB devices might be not recognized when booted from cronis True Image Bootable CD. The reason might be that the drivers for this device is not included into standalone mode of Acronis True Image. Should you experience a problem with your USB device when accessing from rescue mode, please provide us with the exact vendor, model of this device Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) and we will help you solve the problem. To contact Acronis Support Team please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.