Image Size?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by WINEAU, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WINEAU

WINEAU Registered Member

I bought Acronis TI after having trouble with Norton Ghost. It worked great, I backed up my boot drive (roughly 9 GB) to a 3.5 GB file very quickly. However, the next month (I do a monthly backup) the file was over 9 GB. I used the same settings (normal compression), Windows XP PRO, NTFS format, etc. Can anybody ofer an explanation why the file would be so much larger? Thanks!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello WINEAU,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

The image file size strongly depends on the data type on the disk you image. For example, video, audio files, pictures, archives are very difficult to compress and they remain almost the same size.

Also please note that Acronis True Image archives only used sectors. If you created your first back up after clean Windows installation (and you hadn't a lot of used space) and the second one after you have installed a lot of software, stored some data, etc then the second image will be much more than the first one.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. WINEAU

WINEAU Registered Member

I have not substantially changed the C drive since the last backup. Also, it's primarily program files as I use a secondary drive for all my personal JPEGS, MP3's Etc. Can you think of any other reason why the backup file should be 3X the size of the last backup? It's a mystery to me....

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello WINEAU,

Just a thought but it could be that you've been busy installing/uninstalling applications or device driver software. In which case Windows will have created a number of additional restore points (if restore is enabled on your C drive) and this will increase the size of your image.

Regards

5. ivar

ivar Registered Member

Also the reason can be partition defragmentation with some defragmentation
    program. If sectors changed, then TI backs those sectors again. This is the
    bad side of sector-based backup solution. Probably the most displeasing one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.