Image Restored to the wrong partition!!! Help!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by WallaceSt, Apr 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WallaceSt

WallaceSt Registered Member

My image has installed itself onto a partion I need! Now I need to get that partition back to normal and still restore my C drive.

I don't know where things went wrong... The program ask me to select a temporary location for the files and then select the destination which I did...but for some reason it installed the image on the temporary drive and took it over. Now my 150gb drive is showing only 12gb with 136GB of unallocated space. I need to get my data back from this drive or return it back to its original format and drive letter.... some please help...

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hi WallaceST,

I think you need to post some additional details to be absolutely clear as to what you did.

To begin with:
    A. Are you using Windows XP? If not, what operationg system is it?
    B. What version and build of Acronis True Image did you use?
    C. How many hard drives do you have internally on your system?
    D. How are these partitioned? (One partition each, two or more?)

As I understand your situation, you created an image of your C drive.
    1. Is this correct? Did you create and image or did you clone your C drive?
    2. If you made an image (not a clone), where did you create/save the image?
    And, approximately when did you make this image?
    3. Do you have more than one partition on the drive with your C partition?
    4. If so, did you make an image of all the partitions at the same time?
    5. What is your "temporary drive"? Is it a 150GB USB 2.0 or Firewire drive?
    6. Does this "temporary drive" have any other partitions besides the 12GB
    that is a duplicate of your C drive and the 136GB of unallocated space?

Although I don't know where you saved the image of your C drive, I think you then restored this image to the "temporary drive."
    7. Is this correct?
    8. If you disconnect this "temporary drive", does the system boot normally
    to your old C drive?

If I have understood you correctly, I'm afraid that any data on the temporary drive is now lost. I hope the data that was on the drive was not terribly valuable. When an image is restored to a partition, it's as if that drive were repartitioned and that new partition reformatted and all the data from the image copied to the newly created partition. All old data on the partition is overwritten with the data from the image making it unretrievable by normal means.

You can restore the "temporary drive" to its original empty condition by deleting the 12GB partiton, repartitioning and creatiang one partition with the full 150GB and then formatting the new partition.

Restoring your C drive depends upon the answers to the quesitons.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello WallaceSt,

Thank you for choosing Acronis System Restore Software.

As concerns your data recovery, please download free trial version of Acronis Disk Director Suite from our site and launch "Recover Partition" tool. Demo version will not be able to recover partition but it will indicate whether the recovery is possible (whether it finds the lost partition). If the software finds the partition you may purchase Acronis Diks Director Suite and recover the necessary data. If it doesn't find the partition, it is likely that the partition is lost.

As for Acronis True Image performance, could you pleae clarify what you mean by "temporary drive"? The prompt to indicate it is strange because you don't need any temporary drive when you restore the image. Actually you need to indicate only the image and the drive you want to restore to. Please let us know the details of what you were prompted by the software.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.