Image Restore Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rbauer, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbauer

rbauer Registered Member

Dear Acronis Support,

If you create an image of the full disk (everything checked) what happens when you restore this image to a hard drive that doesn't have the same exact partitioning and filesystems as your image ?

Suppose that the new hard drive is a totally blank drive that hasn't been partitioned, or maybe it has some partitions on it already. Will True Image create all the partitions it needs with all the right sizes and all the right file systems (FAT, FAT 32, NTFS, etc) automatically or do you have to create all this stuff on the drive manually before you even attempt to do an image restore ?

Sincerely,
    Rich

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You will be able to select which partitions from the image are restored to the partitions on the hard drive. The old contents of those partitions on the drive will be gone and completely replaced by the contents of the image.

If the new drive is blank either because it has never been used or because all the partitions have been deleted, TI will allow you to select the partitions from the image to be restored and adjust the size of these partitions. If this is the boot drive, you should restore all the partitions from the image to ensure that the drive will be bootable. TI will restore the partitions with their correct file systems.

If the drive is going to be your boot drive, I would remove all partitions and then restore the entire image to be sure it will be bootable. If you have additional partitions on the drive which you do not want to delete, you will just have to give it a try, but the results are unpredictable.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Rich,

Thank you for choosing Acronis System Restore Software.

When you restore the image of the whole disk it doesn't matter what partitions you have on the destination disk. Acronis True Image will delete all these partitions and create new ones according to the partition layout contained in the image. You do not need to preformat or prepare your destination disk in any way.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Thanks for correcting me Ilya. I usually only restore one or two partitions, so I have to choose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.