Image Restore is Idle from DVD using Bootable Rescue Media

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 190mph, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 190mph

190mph Registered Member

Hello,

After installing Windows XP SP2 + other Hotfix updates after it and realizing how crappy that was in its trying to take over all Security Operations and stuff and all, and then uninstalling these updates ruining the abiltiy to surf the internet and java related sites, I needed to reinstall my image created on DVD in April on a clean machine. Below is what I had encountered today:

I had some trouble getting an image to restore from DVD disc (on either of my DVD drives) using the Bootable Rescue Media I made on CD with Drive Image. It was like Idle status when the "Commit Pending Operations" window came up with the progress bar and minutes remaining stuff. It sat there for hours without any movement or time remaining changing or the DVD Drive light did not go the amber color or flickering amber indicating reading. It just stayed green solid.

I did get it to work by clicking my mouse all over the window and the background constantly for the 20 or so minutes and it seemed to keep the program and DVD drive awake and going but I should not have to do this as it should run on it own! Windows and the basic programs are now restored to the conditions on the day I made the image DVD. I have attached a pic to show you in where I was clicking and at what screen if anyone is confused.

I have the image file which is 2.66GB total on a single DVD into 2 files named:
    MyBackup1.tib 1.99GB
    MyBackup2.tib 681MB

I did choose MyBackup1.tib when selecting the image. Should I have chosen the last file just like when you have multiple image files spanned across say many CD's?

Info about the software and other items:

Drive Image 8.0 Build 826 (the latest)
    Windows XP Pro SP1
    DVD Writer Drive: Plextor PX-708A DVD+/-R/RW CD-R/RW
    DVD Player Drive: Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-117 OEM Drive
    DVD Media: Maxell DVD-R 4.7GB 8x
    I created the Bootable Rescue Media CD fresh after Drive Image 8.0 install on clean machine April 22nd
    I created the Image on this DVD disc April 22nd and formatted it as per instructions using Roxio Drag to Disc formatting feature. I vaguely remember the Roxio Drag to Disc complaining about something after the formatting was done but didn't seem to affect to image writing to it. I will format another disc and see if I can find it displaying that message.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~szekeres1/pic004.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

It should not matter which file you click on to do the restore. As long as you click on any file within a set, it should be fine.

As for the disc stalling, that sounds quite odd. Does the DVD verify OK? DVDInfoPro should be able to do a sector-by-sector scan of the disc.

I've always avoided packet writing software, such as "Drag to Disc." Something about it just doesn't sit right with me. I think it's the compatibility (or lack thereof) of the final disc. I always author standard ISO9660 or UDF discs. With ATI, I image to intermediate storage first, and then occasionally burn to DVD. (standard disc author... not drag & drop)

Perhaps you could give this method a shot instead.

3. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Absolutely!

Now, I think I remember reading about a very similar problem with True Image (here at Wilders). Someone else also had to click like a mad-man to get True Image to finish. I don't remember if a fix was ever found... What kind of mouse do you have? PS/2 or USB? Tried disabling the mouse in the BIOS before launching True Image from the CD?

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

5. 190mph

190mph Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys.

I see the other thread about the problem Minimax. Since my image did end up loading successfully I will only try some of its suggestions the next time I need to load the image back on. My mouse is USB and wireless Microsoft. Although computers are complex with all the drivers, files and registries that even something like a mouse can affect a completely different operation I have a hard time believing this would be it, but will keep in mind.

wdormann, I ran the image through the Check Image for errors option and it is fine on the DVD. I then ran the DVD on DVDINfoPro and it had a sense error and would not even begin testing on the Plextor drive, but it did pass great on the Speed Test and CRC Test with no errors on the Compaq OEM DVD-ROM drive.

I think I am going to make a new image with more programs like my AutoCad and a few I didn't have on the basic image and make 2 versions of the image on 2 separate DVD's. 1st using the same method of formating with Drag-to-Disc and then writing the image to the DVD with True Image. The 2nd making an image over on my other partition (D) and then using the Roxio creator to burn the files on the DVD as suggested. Then I'll see which works out better when the time comes again. FYI the Roxio Drag-to-Disc which I right-click to access the format has settings as UDF for Advanced Eject Settings checked off (used in any Windows system) vs ISO system checked off. Specific versions are not mentined.

I still would like some input from Acronis Tech Support please. Thanks!

6. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

From the book;

If you are to restore an image from removable media, e.g. CD, first insert the last CD and then follow instructions of the Restore Image Wizard.

So "MyBackup2.tib 681MB" should have been selected 1st.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 190mph,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please contact support@acronis.com regarding this problem. We need the following information from you:

1. Please do the following:

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Choose the 'Save' option in the 'File' menu (or 'Action' menu under Windows 2000), enter the 'File name' and set the field 'Save as type' to 'System Information File (*.NFO)';
    - Send us the result file.

2. Please also boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the "OK" button and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands:

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

Send the sysinfo.txt file from the diskette.

Please indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Marian Fadeeva. This information will be help in solving this issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.