Image Restore Destroys MBR

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by KarlT, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarlT

KarlT Registered Member

I have a dual boot setup with Win98SE on the C partion, and Linux on a later partition.

The dual boot setup of the MBR was made while installing Linux to a later partition.

Now having made an image back up of the Ext3 Linux partition, my question is, do I want to restore it as an "active" or a "logical" partition? The restore wizard seems to say that I should restore it as an active parition, but when I did that it destroyed my MBR eventhough the Linux partition should have nothing to do with the C (Windows) partition.

Havin spent hours restoring everything by hand, I am a bit annoyed with this software which assures me on the box that it is great for Linux . . . I also find it annoying that Acronis apparently does not provide free help support for a month or so after purchase (or at least I cannot find any link for it).

Any input as to how do the above type of restore would be appreciated.

Thank you.

KarlT

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello KarlT,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please take a look at my reply in this previous thread.

Please also note that whatever partition you've imaged Acronis True Image 9.0 will suggest you to restore it as Active.

Please be aware that the restoration of a single partition can not affect MBR in any way, since as I have already stated in the above mentioned reply only the image of the entire hard drive contains MBR.

Unfortunately, you also have not mentioned what configuration your system had prior to restoring the image. However, according to what you said it was as follows: Linux boot loader were installed into the MBR (it can also be installed on a Linux partition), Windows partition type were set to Active, while Linux partition were Primary or Logical. Linux loader that was installed into the MBR "knew" about Windows residing on the Active partition and Linux on the another one. When you restored an image of a Linux partition you set it's type to Active which automatically made Windows partition non-Active, since there can be only one Active partition on a single hard drive. When you tried to boot your PC, Linux boot loader was unable to find Windows on the Active partition for obvious reasons.

If that's not the case then please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem:

- What partition layout your hard drive has prior to restoring the image;

- Where exactly Linux loader is installed to?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.