Image on DVDs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by avasile, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avasile

avasile Registered Member

I have been trying for a week now to create a computer image on DVDs but with no luck; it always fails and I had no luck with TS.
    I can create the backup process with no problem, I can then verify and confirm that the media is correct; hoever when try to restore from it it will not find any images on the disk./ I even tried saving the image on the HD with DVD size and then burned those; when to restore it fail again.
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    AV

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you are able to save it directly to DVD it should restore from it. When you do it this way, are you including the bootable rescue media with it? If so I don't know why you couldn't restore.

When you create the backup Image on a hard drive then burn it to dvd afterwards, you have to put it back on a hard drive before you can restore.

3. avasile

Thank you for the reply.
    As I said the backup process runs with no problem and I did include all the other options. When restoring, hoever it just doesn't see any .tib files and my DVD drive is listed as a CD drive.
    As for the second part: how will I copy the data on the hard drive from the DVD using the GUI and then restore it?

4. DwnNdrty

You have to have a second hard drive, internal or external. An external is the easier option.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

In Linux, most of the time a DVD drive is shown as a CD drive. That doesn't matter. It will work as a DVD drive.

You don't actually have to copy the .tib files back to a hard drive to restore from them, but the restore will be faster if you do. However, since the files were burned to DVDs after the image was made, you will have to boot from the TI Recovery CD and then put the last disk in first and swap the disks as directed to complete the recovery.

For a backup created on the DVD, can you boot from the backup DVD?
    After selecting Restore, what do you see on the backup DVD in the drive?

Have you tested booting from the Recovery CD?
    After selecting Restore, what do you see if you put a DVD in the drive?

6. avasile

Maybe but this still didn't fix my first problem.

7. LandyRover

LandyRover Registered Member

Thank you for an interesting comment DwnNdrty. I have just set up Windows (XP Pro) on a spare machine that I wanted to use to learn some coding on without interfering too much with my work machine. I carefully backed up the C: drive in 4.0 GB chunks into a special directory on by backup HDD in my main machine and then burnt them off to DVDs (used Nero) to keep off site. Crash testing revealed that when I tried to create a rescue disk it had to be a CD. No DVD option. I am using Acronis® True Image Home® version 10.0 (build 4,942) which I believe is the latest.

So, I thought. Ok then. A rescue CD to get the machine started. But, with this the data in the backup.tib files on DVDs were not accessible either, as avasile noted. Luckily I had had access to the original file via my local network so could restore ok. But, what a palaver.

I know that this sort of learning curve is at least in part what crash testing is all about, but wouldn’t it be a lot easier if Acronis loaded DVD drivers straight off the rescue disk? And for that matter allowed you to create a bootable DVD in the first place. Especially when you consider that one of the image creation options is to split the image into DVD sized chunks.

8. avasile

You are right LandyRover. Why would they make all these features available if are not functional?

9. DwnNdrty

Version 10 does, in fact, have the feature to create the bootable Rescue DVD and include the backup image. But the feature is buried so deep, it's no surprise that you didn't find it. Look here: Tools>Options>Default Backup Options>Media Components>Advanced Tab.

But keep in mind that not only is backuping up to dvd very slow, but the restore process is even slower requiring many disc swaps of the same disc more than once.

10. avasile

I have the Echo version and I did find the feature but, as I said, is not working; it is completely unuseful right now. I even tried to to split theimage and save it on the HD and then burn it on teh DVD and try to restore. No luck.

11. avasile

I got it to work. It was the virtual enviroment (both VmWare and Microsoft) not picking up the DVD drive; amazing !
    Hoever, the amount of times you are requiered to swap the CDs is absurd.
    Anyway, no fault here for ATI Echo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.