Image Names

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by joelmiller4, Jun 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joelmiller4

joelmiller4 Registered Member

If I schedule a backup to a File Name on an external device, it works the 1st time.
    But the next time. it will fail as the file name already exists.
    How do I automatically generate a new name?
    I want to keep several copies on my external drive.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello joelmiller4,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please describe what steps you perform to schedule the image creation? There should be no error messages with the same file name because in this case Acronis True Image just overwrites the existed image. Please let us know what version of Acronis True Image you have? You may create incremental images if you wish to have several restore points.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. joelmiller4

joelmiller4 Registered Member

This was a scheduled Full Image backup. Do I have to use a new file everytime I create a Full Image backup?
    I am using TI 8 (build 826) and want to schedule this full backup every week and also want to have prior versions saved.

4. Acronis Support

Hello joelmiller4,

You may create a script which will move the file to another folder and schedule its launching with Windows Scheduled Tasks. In this case the older image will remain on the computer and the new one will be created with Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. diaZ__

diaZ__ Guest

what I make ?? come lo fatto ? como se hace?

6. Acronis Support

Hello diaZ__,

Thank you for interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please explain your problem? We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

7. diaz__

diaz__ Guest

My problem, I made in file.bat

if exist "Backup" rename "Backup" "%DATE%.tib"

but it does not work, becouse ??

8. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Change it to

if exist "Backup.tib" rename "Backup.tib" "%DATE%.tib"

Perhaps you also need to change the directory first:

cd /d "X:\Path\To\Where\The\Backup\Is\Stored"
    if exist "Backup.tib" rename "Backup.tib" "%DATE%.tib"

9. Alan UK

Alan UK Registered Member

Hi Ilya

I have the same problem but cannot not see your solution. Are you suggesting a DOS Bat script? If so, I cannot not see how to run it at a fixed time (e.g. 1 hour after running the True Image script) using Windows scheduler.

I can tell Windows Scheduler to run a DOS Window (command prompt) but cannot see how to tell it to run a bat script? Your suggestions welcome.

I suggest that True Image is enhanced to allow file names to have a date/time parameter, e.g. "Backup of partition C on %dd %mmm &yy at %hh:%mm" This way each backup will have a unique file name.

Another suggestion is a schedule pattern that allows (say) a weekly full backup (with a unique file name as above) plus daily incremental backups.

A 3rd suggestion is the ability to copy a backup Task profile.

Regards
    Alan
    Using Tue Image version 8

10. Acronis Support

Hello Alan,

If you create .bat file you will be able to schedule it using Windows Scheduler. When you launch "Add Scheduled Task" option, you may choose the .bat file using "Browse" button. This will launch the .bat file periodically (as you set it).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. Alan UK

Thanks Ilya.

I wrote the batch script but had problems with using %DATE%. I got the message:
    "The system cannot find the path specified".
    That's probably due to my XP system returning the date as "dd/mm/yy"
    and the "/" causing the problem.

At this web page I found a solution which I list here to help others.

Substitute ppppppppppppp with your path to the backup file
    Substitute ffffffffffffffffffff with your backup file name

-----------------------------------------------
    echo off
    cd "ppppppppppppp"
    rem parse code from http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/TIP4800/rh4835.htm
    set $tok=1-3
    for /f "tokens=1 delims=.:/-, " %%u in ('date /t') do set $d1=%%u
    if "%$d1:~0,1%" GTR "9" set $tok=2-4
    for /f "tokens=%$tok% delims=.:/-, " %%u in ('date /t') do (
    for /f "skip=1 tokens=2-4 delims=/-,()." %%x in ('echo.^|date') do (
    set %%x=%%u
    set %%y=%%v
    set %%z=%%w
    set $d1=
    set $tok=))
    if NOT exist "ffffffffffffffffffff.tib" echo ERROR: Backup file NOT found.
    if NOT exist "ffffffffffffffffffff.tib" pause
    if exist "ffffffffffffffffffff.tib" rename "ffffffffffffffffffff.tib" "ffffffffffffffffffff %yy%-%mm%-%dd%.tib"
    rem set
    -----------------------------------------------

Regards
    Alan

12. Clayton Curtis

Clayton Curtis Registered Member

I have to say that I agree with Alan. True Image is a great and highly regarded product, but to be effectively used needs a simpler approach to creating periodic complete [image] backups plus periodic incremental backups (which I certainly want daily).

Let me also recommend that something on this topic be put in the FAQ. I'm entering this response as I browse through 196 (!) pages of questions trying to find out how accomplish the above having read the PDF manual through completely without discovering how to do so and without uncovering the problem described earlier in this thread. Thanks very much to the users like Alan who put significant effort into clarifying how things work and discovering innovative approaches to coping with functional issues which we all trust will be remedied in future releases.

13. Acronis Support

14. Alan UK

Thanks Curtis for your kind comments.

It seems endemic in much of today's software that the simple things are difficult to accomplish or just discover how to do.

Alexey, I will copy my suggestion to the Wish List.

Finally to add one small point to my earlier post. I schedule the TI backup at 13:00 each day and then (using Windows Scheduler) the batchfile at 13:00. It works so far.

One potential problem is that I'm not too sure what happens if I forget to
    close any applications (e.g. mail running in the background) and then head off to lunch. With MS backup any open files don't get copied. As TI is a disk sector backup I guess it will backup open files but I have concerns about anything still in Window's cache and not yet written to disk. One can of course set a hard disk not to be cache and for all writes to be immediate.

Regards
    Alan

15. Alan UK

Well I spoke too soon. I was engrossed in writing an email and TI fired up and made it's schedule backup without a murmour. I guess the backup is unreliable.

It would be good if TI could have the option to display a warning message x mins before running a schedule task and/or the option to close any running applications (like UPS software).

Alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.