Image name doesn't change when computer name does

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chrish, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrish

chrish Registered Member

Hello,

I am using ATI Workstation 9.1. I have our computers set to make a weekly image to an e:\ partiton on each computer's hard drive which is then copied to a network location.

The problem is that if I change a computer's name, the name of the image which is created does not change. I have tried deleting the task, and creating a new task (which I name differently than the original task), and all this does it now create a new image with the proper name, but also a second image which has the old computer name.

For example, say I have a computer named WORKSTATION1 - The scheduled task makes it create WORKSTATION1.tib on the E drive. If I rename the computer to WORKSTATION2, the image name is still WORKSTATION1.tib. If I delete the task and create a new one later, two images are created, with the names WORKSTATON1.tib and WORKSTATION2.tib.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled ATI Agent to try to wipe out any cached scheduled tasks, but even that does not work.

Is there a way to find out every task ATI has scheduled on the computer? I have connected to the computers doing this using the management console, and they show only the newest and proper scheduled task, yet they are still running the old tasks.

This is a problem because when people leave this place of employment, and their machine is recycled and renamed for a new person, an image with the old name is still created and copied to a storage drive.

It's particularly more troublesome when a person's machine is changed out for a new machine, the old one is renamed, and now we have two computers creating the same image name, one of which overwrites the other.

It's a big mess. How do I make sure that workstaions with TI Agent are not going to run old tasks, and are only going to run the tasks that the management console shows they are to run?

Thanks,

Chris H

2. chrish

chrish Registered Member

Any suggestions? We have a $13k package from you guys ;)

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The name of a backup Image file is just like the name of any other file. So changing the name of the computer will not affect the previously named backup file. You can, in fact, name the backup file anything you want to.
    When you delete the task, the previously made file should not have been deleted (at least I don't think so). Check to make sure of this. So if I'm correct only one image with the new name was created.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello chrish,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the issue thoroughly?

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please collect the application log of the operation:
    - run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the corresponding log;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Please also collect Acronis scheduler reports the following way:
    - Download and run schedmgr.exe application;
    - Open the command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd);
    - Run the following command in the folder the schedmgr.exe file was saved to:

schedmgr get report > schedreport.txt

- Collect schedreport.txt;
    - Run Acronis Schedule Manager program (schedmgr.exe) once more;
    - Issue the following command:

set logflags support

- Schedule backup creation once again;
    - Wait until the problem backup runs;
    - Collect the log file schedul2.log that is placed in the \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2 folder;

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. chrish

chrish Registered Member

I'm not sure you understood the problem. I would type it out here but I already typed it out above :D

Specifically, this part describes it best:

The machine keeps creating images with the name the computer originally had when the task was created, no matter what the computer is named from that point on. It should create only an image with the current computer name. This schedule runs every week and overwrites the old image. If the old task is deleted, and a new one created, two images are then created. One with the original computer name (as if the old task were never deleted and the computer name never changed), and one that follows the new schedule. You see, while creating the task, you have the option of the program naming the image whatever the computer name is [computername]. Look above to see why the image name needs to be ONLY the current machine name.

Yes, I know I can rename a file anything I want :p - but the point of the scheduler is so I don't have to manually name images on 180 computers every week.

Acronis Support: I will do that. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.