Image mounting problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Yon, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yon

Yon Registered Member

Using True Image 9 on a Win XP pro system, I am trying to mount a disk image. It seems to run ok, but in the end it fails with a message "Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the backup archive." The chosen new virtual drive letter appears in Windows explorer, but it has no contents.

Any ideas?

Regards, Yon

2. ginzero

ginzero Registered Member

I'm having the same problem this morning. I tried mounting an archive that was local (USB) and from a network mounted archive.

I don't recall this happening in the past.

TI8
    MS 2003 Server

---edit---

Tried 9.1 Server Trial version and software says image was mounted however no drive letter shows up, verified image was not mounted at all. Tried both Read Only and Read/Write.

Also my images are of either a single large partition or a partition thats being backed up incrementally.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  3. Yon

Yon Registered Member

I tried again today, and while the end result was the same, something else happened on the way: The system put up the "New hardware detected" message when True Imaged tried to define the virtual device, and then the system insuisted that i had to restart the computer for this new hardware to work properly. Obviously, this was not a feasible option. So it seems that the operatinfg system doesn't understand that this is a virtual device that doesn't need rebooting.

Regards, Yon doesn't understand that

4. ginzero

ginzero Registered Member

I think I may be on to whats going on. For whatever reason Windows isn't assigning drive letters properly to the Acronis mounted images. If you try mounting an image and Acronis is successful however you DO NOT see a drive letter mapped check under Computer Management, Disk Management and you may see volumes (drives) listed that do not have a letter associated with it. Associate a drive letter to the volume and see if that works.

Acronis, even back in version 8, used to mount images with no problems. The only thing I can think of that could be causing this is maybe a windows patch.

--Yon, my issue is different than yours however can you actually see the volume in Disk Management? Is it reporting the correct size there? --good luck!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  5. Yon

Yon Registered Member

Ginzero, I see the new partition in disk management but only while Acronis is actually running. It is of the correct size. If I try to assign a drive letter to it it doesn't allow me to use the letter assigned by Acronis, so evidently that letter is assigned to it, though it doesn't show (but neither does it show the letters for the C disk or for the external hard drive on which the image has been saved. Thus it seems that everything is ok until the end of the mounting operation, but at that point something goes wrong and the virtual drive disappears.

Regards, Yon

6. jimshu1

jimshu1 Registered Member

I can open and copy images files. I do not think v10 "mounts" to a new drive letter. At least, there is no new drive letter when I open an image and there is no drive shown to "unplug" when I'm done.

Another new observation (bug?) for me with v10 and working with files in images; when I shut down WinXP Pro, explorer.exe hangs and will not end. This only occurs if I mess with v10 opening an archive and copying a file during that session. It occurs on two completely different systems. I have to force explorer.exe to End.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.