Image loaded successfully, but no boot?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dunestar, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunestar

Dunestar Registered Member

I am using Acronis TrueImage Echo Enterprise Server v9 w/Universal Restore.
    I have successfully loaded an image of my OS Boot partition of Small Business Server 2003 from my old server to my new server via a USB external HD. I used Universal Restore and loaded the SAS Raid drivers and the Acronis boot loader found and created the partition. I set it as an Active partition, even though Logical was the default selection (This is the OS partition that I want to boot from so it needs to be set to Active)

HOWEVER, After a reboot I try to boot and get the following error message:

GRUB Loading Stage 1.5
    GRUB Loading, Please Wait
    Error 22

What does this mean? I really need to get this server up and am a bit concerned.

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

The error messages are from the GRUB boot manager. A couple of things to check:

1. Are you sure the target disk is the boot device? Check the BIOS boot order to make sure you are booting from the desired disk and not a CD, etc.

2. Did the target disk formerly have a Linux operating system installed that was using GRUB as a boot manager? If so then restore MBR and Track 0 from the source disk image to remove GRUB and substitute the Windows MBR.

3. Did the source disk use GRUB as a boot manager and was it installed to the MBR? If it did and you restored MBR and Track 0 when you restored the image then GRUB was transferred to the MBR of your new target disk. You'll probably want a generic Windows MBR on the target disk. You could use a Windows CD, go to the Recovery Console, and do a fixmbr command.

3. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

Dunestar,

It sounds like your boot sector has lost it's mind...

Try booting into the "recovery console" on your OS disc and perform a "fixmbr" and then a "fixboot". This should get you going again.

4. Dunestar

Thanks for the replies,

I have gotten into the Recovery Console to do the FIXMBR, etc. however it says no hard disk were found!!

I am positive I need to press F2 when loading the Windows boot CD and load the RAID drivers, but guess what... this NEW server we bought doesn't have a floppy drive!

Is there a way to perform a fixmbr without using the crappy Windows Setup disc?

Help!

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Can you borrow a floppy drive temporarily from another machine? This issue is becoming more problematic now that most PCs do not come with floppy drives.

Do you have any other bootable recovery environments available on CD? BartPE (w/ RAID driver installed)? VistaPE? XP (w/ slipstream install of RAID driver)?

6. Dunestar

In case someone else runs into this annoying issue, here is the solution.

Servers without floppy drives MUST use a special Dell Utility called USBKeyPrepF6.exe which essentially tricks windows setup into thinking a floppy drive is A USB flash drive. Also you must press F2 on the server, go into BIOS and change the USB Emulation mode to Floppy.

After that, boot to Windows Setup, hit F6, then pop-in the flash drive and you are good to go.

I did a FIXMBR and it's working fine for now. Thanks guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.