Image good, but unable to restore from USB drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tony Brown, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Brown

Tony Brown Guest

I sold my father-in-law on the benefits of using True Image, so he recently bought the program (latest&greatest, a week ago), and wham, within this week has to do a restore.
    He has a Falcon desktop PC, with an external USB Western digital drive.
    He's tried several times to restore, but it shows something like 4 days to
    simply do a validate image. Then it starts to chug along, and eventually
    gets a "image corrupt" type error message. The progress bar eventually goes to about 2 days, and the image validation ends after about an hour-and-a-half.

He has a laptop, so I had him connect the USB drive to the laptop, and he
    was able to validate and plug-in the backup image. So, we know it's not corrupt, but the desktop PC (Falcon), has appears very slow, and in my opinion, appears to timeout.
    I've seen the posting for BartPE, but I haven't seen the problem he's having. Whenever BartPE is recommended, it's usually been for speed issues to go from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 data rates. I had him disconnect everything, but his PS2 mouse/keyboard, I had him move his USB from a PCI USB port to one on the motherboard, we verified the BIOS USB is set properly.
    One other piece to this puzzle, is that he has a RAID controller, but I wouldn't imagine that would matter if the PC isn't even restoring, but rather just validating the remote image.

Any suggestions?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Are you doing all this with the bootable True Image CD or from within windows? Usually the boot CD is the better way to go.

Also you might try removing the drive from the external enclosure and installing it inside the desktop box and do the restore from there.

True Image seems to have conflicts with certain hardware combinations and unfortunately you may have one of those combos. But there may be other workarounds which are posted here frequently by the official Acronis advisors and which I think are in the FAQs.

3. Tony Brown

Tony Brown Guest

He's tried both (and multiple times). He started a restore, and eventually it died, so now he has to use the bootable CD. Putting the external drive inside the PC is a creative solution (I didn't even think of that), but he's pretty frustrated, and I think that might be too involved for him.

At least if he reinstalls Windows, he could potentially still get to his data files, etc.
    It's just nice when you can click restore, and see everything back exactly as it was. (that was my experience with TI).

Thanks though!

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tony,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that your father-in-law uses the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot the computer having the issue from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please check whether your father-in-law's external USB hard drive is connected to the PC through a hub. If yes, then please connect it directly.

I would also recommend you to try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If nothing of the above helps then please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer having the issue from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.