Image For Windows Question

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mata7, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

hi all, can someone please tell me if is anyway of restoring a image whit out need to use the CD, i restore like 3 or 4 times a day and is really annoying have to use the CD every time

thanks

2. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Sorry, I dont know because I have never used IFW. But you could use BING (BootIt Next Generation) from the same vendor.

I have BING installed in its own partition so I dont have to use the CD.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

IFW can't restore the active, running partition to itself. So you can't be in Windows and restore the Windows partition. Thus the bootable CD to restore from. That said, it should be no problem to restore different partitions. IOW, restoring D: while running from C: should work fine...

4. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

thanks for you help guys

so if i create a partition on one of my hard drive and restore to that partition will be fine, but how do i boot to that partition after?

and how is that oder backup software can do this, like paragon, ATI i can restore wiht out cd , do they use a expecial feature?

thanks

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I've not used Paragon but ATI uses a type of boot manager that gives you a choice of ATI or regular Windows early in the boot process.

I understand what you are driving at but I'm a less is more kind of guy. Having a boot manager does add some additional system complexity. I have no idea if it is a source for issues with these other programs but personally, I would not want it on any of my PCs.

I know it's none of my business, and of course, you don't have to answer. But the question begs to be asked... why do you restore so many times each day?

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Is there such a problem that concerns you if you would instead used IFD? I've read and heard great results from it and my local PC Shop is even gotten in the act of using it to backup and restore.

EASTER

7. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

thats my HTPC and i test allot of software there plus my kids surf the net and download stuff p2p, thats why i restore image allot on they comp, i cant use Returnill free cause is a vista x64

8. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

IFD is the CD Right? and trying No To use the CD

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you are trying to restore the c:\ then you have two options as far as I know. First is to use the CD, and 2nd, I believe Acronis has an option that does work, but it requires you to reboot into a dos like environment.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

paragon has an option to restore a system partition on reboot.
    choose options in the GUI and then click on the reboot button that comes up and it restores in a bluescreen type window before windows loads.
    i use it almost everyday atm due to the many KL 2009 beta builds.

11. osip

osip Registered Member

The best way to deal with IFW is to put it in a BartPE rescue CD...The newest 2.07d has also incrementals...I use it and it´s very reliable. IFD 2.07 is also very good...

12. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  13. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

man thanks that will be great, i hope Brian see this thread and he can give me some help on how to do this, i also got the email notification that 2.08 is out

thanks

14. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Another alternative is to create separate partition with a basic installation of Windows and IFW (ie. a recovery partition), used so you can restore to your main Windows partition. If you also have Terabyte's BootIt NG, you can create a shortcut in your normal Windows installation which will automatically reboot into the recovery partition, restore the image to your main Windows partition, and then reboot back into your normal Windows. Brian K led the way with this type of restore, and I'm now using it successfully myself.

I simply double-click the shortcut, and within a few minutes (depending on how large the image is) the image wil have been restored and I will be at the login prompt. Couldn't be any easier. :)

15. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Some more info: You will need the free add-on BootNow which allows you to automatically reboot into another partition. You will also need to write a couple of small .bat files - One for rebooting into the recovery environment

Code:
    C:
    cd "\Program Files (x86)\Utilities\BootNow"
    bootnow 2
    The other you place in the Startup folder of the recovery Windows (ie. so it gets started automatically) which performs the restore and then reboots back into normal Windows (something like):

Code:
    path="C:\Program Files\Image for Windows\V2";%path%

D:

if not exist ImageToRestore.TBI exit

imagew /r /d:w0@0x1 /f:ImageToRestore /rb:0 /o /v /a

C:
    CD "\Program Files\BootNow"

bootnow 1

16. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

thanks Defe for you help i don't have BootIt NG, and to be honest I'm no that tech, so i don't understand noting that you just write

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.