image failed but Validated ok

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Whynot, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whynot

Whynot Registered Member

I started to create an image of my Primary partition then recieved error message sayng that it couldn't read data at specific sectors - 5 in total - which I had to ignore to continue. OK I'm not going to use this image I thought but I'd "verify" the image to see the message that it gives, only to be told that it was verified. How can this be if the original backup had data read errors. Looking at the log also seems to indicate that the backup "operation has succeeded" ?

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Did you run chkdsk C:/f/r before you imaged the disk? (Assuming that C: is the drive letter of the disk you want to image)

Did chkdsk report any bad sectors on the disk?

Did chkdsk isolate these bad sectors?

If the answers to the above are "yes" then you should be OK. TI will still report these bad sectors, but chkdsk will have recovered the data at those sectors or if the data was irrecoverable would have reported as such. In any event chkdsk would have isolated those sectors. Your image should be OK.

3. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

WhyNot, in a way you're lucky that you got some indication that there was an error. Too many times others report here that the Image validated okay and when they went to Restore they got a "corrupt" message. And this was when they really needed to restore to a system that had become broken.

You just cannot trust the "Image (or Clone) created successfully" message or the validation okay. You have to give it the acid test until you are confident that TI works on your system configuration.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Ideally, TI should have stopped in its tracks and told you to fix the disk which is why running a chkdsk before a backup is a good idea. However, it did tell you it had a problem and left the decision to you.

TI's verify is not a sector by sector comparison with the contents of the image it is somehow based on checksum(s?) calculation. So if TI gets some incorrect data when making the backup it builds its checksums based on that data. When the image is verified it calculates the checksums again using the same stored incorrect data and naturally gets the same checksum. Based on this everything is OK.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Whynot,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please check the disks for errors as Tabvla suggested?

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that
    checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

If that does not help then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file. Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.