Image creation more than one day?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jerryphx, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerryphx

jerryphx Registered Member

I just bought TI 8.0, build 941. I am using the bootable CD to create a backup image of a new computer. The computer is an HP a820n, with a fresh install of XP. Less than 3 Gig used.

I tried going directly to DVD, but now from my searches here, I see that that doesn't work.

Next, I tried using an external HD to accept the image. TI says image will take more than 1 day, even choosing zero and normal compression. I try to begin the image, but I can't see anything happening. I can't wait a day for a 2 gig image.

Next, I'm temporarily mounting a drive in the computer, which is something I wanted to avoid.

I have used ghost exclusively in the past. I wanted to give TI a try.I've searched the forum, but haven't found an answer. What am I missing here?

2. jerryphx

Seems to work fine with internal drive.

The external 40Gig/USB drive shows up as A:. When I would try to image to that drive, it would ask me to insert media. TI saw that the size of the drive was 32G. Wierd.

Any help is appreciated. Have a great weekend!

3. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

It shouldn't take that long. A 3 GB backup to an external drive should take, what ... 1 - 1½ hour?

4. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

3 GB backup to external USB2 drive usually takes me ~20-30 mins. I'm guessing the operation is going on at USB1.1 speeds... ~40x slower.

Marc

5. jerryphx

The adaptor itself is 2.0. But I have no way of telling whether its actually operating at 2.0.

What drive letter does your external show up as?

6. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

Well, my main drive has partitions C: through H:, so partitions on the external drive start at I: when viewed in windows XP. For that matter, it comes up the same way in the Acronis TI rescue environment.

If it's taking on the order of a day to back up 3 GB of data, it's definitely not operating at USB2 speed.

Marc

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jerryphx,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/).

Are you creating the image after booting from Acronis Bootable CD or under Windows? If the former the reason may be that Linux drivers included into the CD are not optimized for your hardware. Please try to create the image under Windows and let us know whether there is a difference in time.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. jerryphx

I was trying to create the image with the bootable cd. I prefer creating images without windows running. Old fashioned, i guess.

The IDE to IDE worked fine. I m assuming it was the Linux/USB issue. Is firewire a better option?

9. FTJoe

FTJoe Registered Member

I don't care what version of USB it is, no way it takes that long (IMHO). I am sort of surprised it shows up as A:, that's a little freaky. My 9G of data backup takes 10 minutes or so to an external drive (letter H). Seems to be taking longer as I do incrementals, though, I think I'll stop doing incrementals, they save no room anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.