Image corrupt - spanned DVD's

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jelenko, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jelenko

jelenko Registered Member

Volume title for spanned DVD's confusing

I just finished an incremental image backup that required Acronis TI 9 3667 to span to a second DVD. Acronis told me to label the second DVD 'Volume 2'.

But, when restoring from the Recovery Media [i.e., I booted from the recovery media], the second DVD was now identified as Volume 3. Volume 2 was on the first DVD.

The instructions/naming conventions need to be clarified.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: Volume title for spanned DVD's confusing

Hello jelenko,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

Could you please clarify whether you have the full image on two DVD disks or the full image resides on first DVD and the incremental image on the second one?

What DVD-writing method have you used? If you have used the direct method of DVD-writing, please clarify whether you have created the image within Windows or in rescue mode?

Please describe all actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. jelenko

I'm using 3677 of TI Home. Burned full system backup + two incremental backups on DVD's [both +R]. First full backup fit on one DVD. First incremental spanned the first DVD to a second DVD. Third incremental fit on the second DVD.

When trying to restore from the third incremental backup, [after mutiple inserts of the two DVD's while TI read the second 'volume'], the restore failed with a message about the image being corrupt.

I use the DVD writer all the time and haven't had any other problems with bad burns. Is the problem I'm seeing a known issue?

Thanks

4. jelenko

There is a full image on the first DVD. Then, there is a partial incremental image spanned from the first DVD to the second DVD. There is another full incremental image on the second DVD.

Direct writing to DVD was used. The image was created from within Windows.

Also, I am able to successfully restore the first full image. That is, I chose the first, full image to restore. But, if I choose either the first or second incremental images to restore, ATI reports 'corrupt image'.

Thanks

5. jelenko

Acronis Support - now what?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jelenko,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please tell us whether you use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or you use Acronis True Image in Windows to restore the data from the image archive?

Could you please try to copy the image archives into a single folder on the internal hard drive? Then please validate the image archives using Validate Archive tool (Tool -> Validate Archive) of Acronis True Image and let us know the exact check-out result. If the validation is successful please try to restore the image archive.

Please also collect the log files from Acronis True Image 9.0 Home that contain the error message and the validation results. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  7. jelenko

Sorry for not responding earlier - I simply gave up and moved on.
    The DVD's are history.

For now, I've been creating only a full system image - with no incremental backups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.