Image archive won't display using rescue disc

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gladu2, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gladu2

gladu2 Registered Member

I'm a new user to True Image and have a licenced copy. I have a new Seagate 300gb external hard drive which I reformatted into 2 NTFS partitions using software (DiscWizard) the drive came with. I defragmented and repaired some bad sectors on my C-drive with ckdisc prior to making a full backup archive to the G drive (one of the new partitions on my external harddrive). I included my C drive and D drive (which is HP's windows recovery partition) as a single backup job to the G drive.
    Then I wanted to test my True Image bootable rescue disc which I made one before and one after I created my computers image (niether one works). When I boot with the rescue disc Acronis loads and while it's loading I get the message ohc:1394_0: SelfID recieved outside of bus reset sequence archive. Then Acronis finishes loading. I wanted to see if the image file would display using TI recovery feature with the boot disc. The G drive does display using the boot disc but when I click for the tree to expand there is nothing in it. On the other hand If I run TI recovery in the Windows enviornment I can see the G drive and the image archive.tib file it is there. 'My Computer' indicates the file is over 35gb. When I run the bootable rescue disc I can see other files on the C-drive but not the back up image file on the G-drive. I've tried swapping the firewire cable over to USB and it doesn't make any difference. As it stands now I won't be able to access the the TI archive image using the rescue disc if my computer harddrive fails as the archive is hidden except in the windows enviornment. Any help from tech support or any users would be greatly appreciated.
    Mike

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

The ATI boot CD contains a subset of Linux - basically just enough of the OS to make a PC run. It is possible that the reason for your problem is that there is not a Linux driver on the CD to interface with your external Seagate drive.

The error code that you are getting "ohc:1394_0" is associated with the IEEE1394 Firewire connection. If you are receiving this error message then the chances are quite good that the ATI Linux shell cannot "see" your external disk or cannot communicate with it. That also would explain why you don't have a problem under Windows. If you have the correct Windows driver installed then Windows is not having any problem in communicating with your external disk via the Firewire.

Suggest that you raise a support call with Acronis Support. Provide them with full details of your external disk and ask them to check if there is a driver on the boot CD. If not they will source one for you and provide you with instructions as to how you can incorporate it into the Linux shell.

3. OldITGuy

OldITGuy Registered Member

In his previous post Gladu2 said "I've tried swapping the firewire cable over to USB and it doesn't make any difference". I assume he couid do that because this new drive supports firewire and USB, so that should have eliminated the driver problem. Unless of course the required USB driver is missing also.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

OldITGuy, my guess would be that you are correct. If the Firewire driver is not on the Linux CD then it is highly probable that the USB driver is also AWOL. It would simply be that the particular piece of hardware is not supported in the ATI Linux shell.

Not a big problem because Acronis Support are usually quite good about finding Linux drivers, so the problem should be easy enough to resolve....... assuming of course that it is as simple as a missing driver :D

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

With all the issues I've seen reported concerning USB/Firewire and the Linux Rescue CD I use BartPe http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ with Mustang's plugins http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/
    . You are operating in a Windows environment and drivers are not an issue. I do build an new Acronis CD each time I install a new build just to have it available. Mustang updates his plugin's each time a new build comes out.

6. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

7. gladu2

gladu2 Registered Member

Thank you for your replys concerning using the Aconis boot disc and not finding the archive file on my external hard drive, although it is able to find the drive letters as I mentioned. I think I will try to find out from Akronis if my new Seagate ST3300601CB-RK drive is supported with USB or Firewire drivers in the Lunix operating boot disc. I will also place a different file in the G drive and see if it can be viewed in the tree as the Lunix system can display 'all files' as well Acronis image files. I will also create a folder and drag the image file into it and see if that makes any difference or weather I can even see the named folder which could help prove weather it is a driver issue. I will contact them Monday if the problem isn't resolved by then.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gladu2,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please do the following?

1) Please make sure that the bootable CD is created with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

2) Try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

3) If booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter does not help then please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

4) Please also make a screen shot of Windows Disk Management by following Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.

5) Provide us with the exact vendor and model of the external hard drive you use.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Please also note that as thomasjk mentioned a possible workaround is to use bootable CD created using Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE allowing you to boot the computer into a Windows-like environment loading the appropriate drivers for any hardware devices installed in your computer at startup.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.