Image archive corrupt again and again and again and .......

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hemang, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

hemang - You appear to have used TrueImage to create a C:\MyBackup1.tib then used TrueImage again to create E:\AcronisImages\MyBackup1.tib. The checksums you previously reported were different.
    So there is a problem but your test doesn't prove whether it is due to hardware or a bug in Acronis which produces different image files.
    However, you can prove whether the problem is due to TrueImage by using Windows to copy C:\MyBackup1.tib to the E: drive. If the checksums are different this time then since Acronis is not involved in the creation of the file on drive E: then TrueImage is not the problem.
    Which brings us back to the question of hardware.
    Search this forum for info using search terms such as: USB external HDD controller chipset. You'll find that some USB external drives just don't work correctly. It's not the disk itself but seems to be the external case controller hardware which causes the problem.
    The problem usually happens when copying large files to the external HDD.
    Perhaps you can test by copying various size files to the external HDD.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

TI works fine on external USB drives with the right hardware.

The problem is probably not the Maxtor external drive. I've never had a problem with Maxtor USB drives. The problem is more likely with the USB chipset in your computer. The NEC chipsets are the most reliable.

Since this is a laptop computer, you can't just open it up and add another USB card, but you can use a USB 2 PC card. With Windows XP, the new card will be recognized automatically - no drivers need to be installed.

I have used Adaptec USB 2 cards with very good results. They use the NEC chipset. If you could borrow any USB 2.0 PC card, you could do a test with it. If the backups to the Maxtor drive verify when made through the PC card USB ports, you have confirmed that the built in ports are the problem, and you also have a solution.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If I am following your information properly:

TI works properly on an internal drive but not on the external drive.

You created an archive internally and ran the checksum calculation. You ran the checksum on an archive created on the external HD. Now, this is very important, was the external HD archive a new one as I said or did you copy the one from the internal HD? If it was a separate new creation then the checksums will likely be different (because disk contents may have changed), if it is the internal archive (tib file) copied to the external then the checksums should be the same but they aren't.

If it wasn't just a copy to the external, run the checksum calculation on the tib file on the internal drive and record it. Now copy with Windows Explorer the same tib file to the external and run the checksum calculation. They must be the same or your copy did not work properly.

The problems with external USB HDs typically are not the drives themselves but a poor chipset or driver that doesn't handle very large files well.

Other things to try with the USB drive is to put it on a rear connector if it isn't which normally reduces cable length and possible noise pickup on the internal cable.

Unplug any other USB devices that aren't needed.

4. drhanso

drhanso Registered Member

Yes,

ATI will definitely work with external USB, and if you use Windoze then USB will we more reliable than Firewire from my experience (W never liked FW very much), depending on the chipset in the FW-IDE bridge: Oxford will almost always work, Prolific are dubious etc. YMMV on different combinations.
    So get an Oxford 911-912-922 equipped case and you should be fine.

-Hans

5. AutoPro

AutoPro Registered Member

Hi, I had spent almost 2 weeks tryring to figure out why I could not get a valid image from TI9 and I was searching for info on TI9 bugs and came across these reports. Just thought you guys like to know how I solved it?

It seems the E00070020 error is a RAM problem, or at least it was with mine. I had 2*512MB Crucial RAM modules in separate channels on my Intel board, which I thought were perfect, it appeared when running the aforementioned memory test on each module over-night ONE of them produced 'some' errors.

I went back to the Crucial.com website and checked my motherboard against the correct RAM and bought a new single 1GB module. Once I got perfectly matched RAM > Motherboard module with no errors (you need the memory test program), it (TI 9.0, b3677) all works perfectly, validates from the Boot disk, clones to USB and DVD direct everything!

Hope this saves someones hair! If you want any more info. Email me. ;)

6. paniccom

paniccom Registered Member

I, too, have had numerous corrupt images on my second internal HDD. This has been going on for a year or so, no matter what update acronis came out with. I was starting to think maybe acronis wasn't compatible with AMD systems. Well, since I heard a lot of mentions of memory being the culprit, last night I pulled out the 3 Kingston memory 256MB sticks, and added 1 corsair value ram 512mb stick. Problem solved! Every backup is now NOT corrupt. I am going to go back and replace the corsair memory with the old kingston, but only one stick at a time. I'll make images on each one, and see if one is defective, or if the 3 together gave problems. Then, I'll add a 2nd corsiar identical matched stick with the first, and see if two give a problem. But as of right now, I am extremely happy to report that a $39.99 memory replacement fixed my problems. I had started to suspect memory because I tried some other backup programs (thinking acronis had a problem) and also got invalid backups. I'll post my results in a couple of days.

7. sytecyer

sytecyer Registered Member

What about images already made that appear corrupt? Do you think removing bad memory could allow a corrupt image to be accessed?

Or does anyone know ANY way to get into a corrupt image? I'm dying over here!

8. sytecyer

sytecyer Registered Member

Are you creating an Image of the C: drive? The creation of the image on the c: drive and then subsequent creation of another image of the same drive will change the checksum. Try the same test with the current C: drive as a non-primary drive. The changing of the pagefile (virtual memory) by TI will also change the drive contents. ANY change to the contents basically will change the checksum effectively rendering the test useless.

edited to add quote tag - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.