Image archive corrupt again and again and again and .......

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hemang, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hemang

hemang Registered Member

Purchased TI9 some weeks back. Backed up archives show corruption on validation. Downloaded build 3666, made new rescue CD and booted from this. Then backed up my toshiba 60Gb laptop drive to a folder on an 200Gb NTFS formatted external Maxtor HDD. Was successful in creating the archive as always, took a lot of time. But again validation is unsuccessful. I had read good reviews of the product but it doesnt seem as good now. Cannot find a solution to this problem.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Backup your laptop to a partition/folder on your 60GB laptop drive (yes, it is possible due to TI's snapshot technology). Download the <XCSC checksum calculator> and calculate a MD5 checksum for the TI image file. Use Window Explorer to copy the same image file to your external Maxtor drive and calculate a new MD5 checksum for the copied image. There should be no difference between the two checksums but if there is then you have a hardware problem that needs to be investigated further.

Regards

3. hemang

hemang Registered Member

Cant do this as my laptophas only 10Gb remaining. I just thought the software would perform as it promised but it is far from that. Seems lot of people have this problem and I could not find the solution. It also seems TI8 was better. I just dont know what to do. Have written to Acronis but no response as yet.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

1. Repeat the backup but split the image at 1492 MB. I realize that this will result in your backup being in perhaps 20 pieces on the USB drive, but try it anyway. If this image verifies, then you can try larger pieces to see where the limit of your hardware is.

2. Do you have anywhere else you can save an image? A networked drive? A different USB drive? A USB PC card to try different USB ports from the ones on the motherboard? A firewire port and drive?

Some hardware is not compatible with large files and that results in corruption.

5. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

6. Menorcaman

Yep, that would have been one the follow-up checks if the two checksums hadn't tallied.

Regards

7. hemang

hemang Registered Member

Never done these things before, will give it a shot however. In the meantime I did the backup with 1492Mb size (1.457Gb) splits but got the same error. Then I did a backup of few files and it passed the validation. Trying to do more files and see when the error comes.

8. jmk94903

I assume the other backups you did were images and now you have switched to testing the file backup feature. That's fine, I just wanted to be sure I understood.

At least something validates.

You could also try splitting the image backup at something smaller than 1.457GB such as using the 700MB CD splitting to see if that helps.

9. tachyon42

You may find that 'when the error comes' is not reproducible.
    Backing up a few files and getting a successful validation the first time is not sufficient. That is, repeating what you did to get a successful image creation might then give you the error (and vice versa). This is particularly true if the error arises due to hardware issues (e.g. flaky memory).

10. c097698

c097698 Registered Member

Hello. I have 6 pc's that i use acronis v9 on, 5 of them have been troublefree but on 1 pc I could never get to work. i would get image corrupted error on either the image backup or on the verification. I did the memory test many times with no problems. This particular pc has 2 256k pc133 sticks.
    I removed 1 stick and acronis worked. With 2 sticks will fail every time. I still don't know if with 2 sticks the problem is acronis, the memory. the motherborard or chipset, but I did find a workaround!
    Try removing all but 1 memory stick & see if you're image backup works

11. Menorcaman

Hi,

Definitely a hardware problem!! Are both sticks the same type e.g. single sided or double sided? If not, does your motherboard support mixed types and, if so, are the two sticks plugged into the correct DIMM sockets? Also, if your motherboard supports Dual Channel Technology make sure the two sticks are suitable and plugged into the correct sockets for this mode of operation.

Regards

12. hemang

hemang Registered Member

Ok now I did some more trials. Both 3633 and 3666 were giving problems. For some other reasons I had to do a system restore and was back to build 3633.
    I made a profile of soem folders totalling about 1.8Gb and in the options kept file splitting at 1000Mb and no compression. Then I ran this profile twice, once backing up on my internal HDD and once on the Maxtor external HDD. 2 files were generated each time due to file splitting. The validation of internal ones is ok but on the external disk it gave image corrupt. I ran checksum on all the files and results are as reproduced below the mail. I cant interpret them of course. I also downloaded memtest latest and booted from CD and it ran for coulpe of hours. But I dont know how to save the results. What should I do.
    If the backup disk is the problem, can I never use an external HDD?? I was in fact thinking of buying another one as a secondary backup to be kept offsite. What to do now. Shoud I uninstall 3633 and install 3666 and try the same thing? Should not make any difference it seems.

Checksum - 29/6/06
    Backup with Acronis TI9 build 3633

C: is my internal HDD and E: is the external

C:\MyBackup1.tib
    CRC32 : EC3208F9
    MD5 : DD20E7A1E9B10B4E578CE57F78F2A187
    SHA-1 : EDAB3CF95E5691AF40BEED7B95DD67F1BD84C547

C:\MyBackup2.tib
    CRC32 : 83152106
    MD5 : 23F22F22E7C5A94779B4160F630DDD6D
    SHA-1 : 00BFC64478B4FCA378028E13A8E97ADF7140C1F1

E:\AcronisImages\MyBackup1.tib
    CRC32 : C15DC150
    MD5 : 22B767AB14D0B1F971345EE02608042E
    SHA-1 : EDBEA3F77304321421F16155BBF19A11626C874E

E:\AcronisImages\MyBackup2.tib
    CRC32 : 15379EA0
    MD5 : B3C993CAEEE9596F9647D648DC74A9B0
    SHA-1 : 63DFA9C0389411EA0958C17886E6561C6E5DA648

13. tachyon42

Please confirm whether you are using memtest86+ version 1.65 from: http://www.memtest.org/
    This is the best memory checker version to use.
    You don't need to save any memory test results.
    If there are memory errors then you need to replace the faulty memory.
    If you are running multiple sticks of memory then remove them and do test for each stick separately.

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hemang,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please download and install the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site and see how it works on your computer.

However, if the backup is not corrupt being saved to an internal hard drive and MD5 checksums are different for the same files on the internal and external hard drives, the problem is related to the external one.

Please try to connect the drive to another USB-port, update the BIOS of the motherboard, replace the USB cable, use a FireWire cable instead of the USB one and see whether the problem still persists.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

15. drhanso

drhanso Registered Member

Hemang,

same here but only with firewire if booted from Windows. Trying USB or booting from ATI CD might help. Your problem is definitely hardware.

-Hans

16. carpediem79

carpediem79 Registered Member

I am not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but I figured out my corrupt image problem.

When it goes to validate the archive, it looks on my C drive. My archive is on my F drive. Despite my Acronis secure zone being setup for the F drive it looks to my C drive. When I lookked at the details of why the validation didn't work it said the archive was corrupt and "not found" probably because it was looking in the wrong place.

Try doing a small backup of a single folder. I did My Document folder. I did the back--up to my C drive and validated it. It worked fine.

I e-mailed Acronis about this. I am hoping they fix it.

17. jmk94903

If you manually validate an image do you get this problem. In this case, you have to point TI to the image you want to validate on the drive where it is stored. I've never had a problem doing this.

18. carpediem79

When I validate an image I save to my C drive it works fine. If I can tell it where the image is.

It is my Acronis Secure Zone. I did not think I would have to tell it where this is located?

19. jmk94903

But you have to select the image to verify! There can be more than one image in the SZ, so naturally, you must tell TI which image to verify even if there is only one.

TI under Windows remembers the last location you saved an image to and the last location you restored from and the last location you verified an image. If you verified an image on C, TI will look there the next time you want to verify. If you select the SZ, TI will look there and also look there the next time you want to verify.

Try that, and if it works, you know what to do from now on.

20. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It is my understanding that TI verifies all the images in the SZ when any verify is requested.

21. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

This is certainly true up to build 3366. It probably still applies to the later builds though as I have found a better way of working I no longer run any TI Validations or verifications.

Xpilot

22. carpediem79

I select the SZ to verify. It checks the whole SZ. There is no way to specifiy a specific image in the SZ. It says that no specific image name is needed.

Also, when it tries to vvalidate an image right after backing up it produces the same error. So I do not think it is a matter of me telling it where to look.

As I said, when I do tell it where to look when I make a backup to my c drive it works fine.

With the SZ though it has issues. It acts like there is nothing in the SZ.

23. jmk94903

OK, I give up. It's not supposed to be this way, but if you can't verify a backup, I'd be very suspicious whether you could ever restore the image.

Have you tried making an image to a second visible partition on your hard drive or better to a second internal or external hard drive? An image in the SZ is lost if the hard drive fails, so it's not a good long term backup location.

24. carpediem79

My SZ is on a 2nd hard drive, so if the initial hard drive fails, it is not a problem.

As I have said already, if I create a backup on my C drive or on another partition, not the SZ, I can verify it.

25. hemang

hemang Registered Member

Hello all, I have not been able to do anything for a week now on this. It seems everyone is telling me that this is a hardware issue. I have already got one replacement from Maxtor for my external HDD and I doubt they will give another one, how do I prove that their HDD is at fault. And what would be the guarantee that another HDD would work?
    Does Acronis really work on an external HDD through USB?
    Will try few more things and get back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.