I'm stumped with a corrupt image.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by callanish, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. callanish

callanish Registered Member

I read all the posts on the subject matter and I don't have an answer to my problem. Hoping someone can shed some light. Using Trueimage 10. In the past I've used Trueimage 9 with successful backups and restore on both my laptops ( without going in to detail of the specs ) a Gateway and a Dell Inspiron hooked up to a USB harddrive. Ended up with a corrupted operating system on the Dell and decided I wanted to restore everything, so I went to my trusty USB drive where an image was stored to restore the file. Tried to restore both from Windows XP which is still functional, albeit screwed up, and also from the emergency bootable recovery CD. I get a corrupt image file from both and it can't restore. Now, obviously that would point the finger at a few suggestions posted on the forum; memory, issues with hardware etc. The strange part is if I try to validate the backup, it says I don't have a problem with the backup files for both the Dell and the Gateway. I can use Windows Explorer to access the image file ( useful in version 10 ) to copy files from the USB backup image and send them over to my harddrive in both laptops. Another strange screen warning info that I'm getting is if I use the emergency recovery disc ( for both 9 and 10 ), and choose the Dell backup file on the USB drive, I get the message this isn't the last disc in the backup and after I click on it, it states it's corrupt. That doesn't make sense as if I choose the Gateway's backup image just to test it from the Dell, I end up with the same message about this isn't the last disc, etc. If I connect the gateway laptop to the USB hard drive and try to restore its backup, I don't have a problem whether doing this through XP or from the emergency disc and I don't get any messages about this isn't the last backup. So, it seems like the problem lies with the Inspiron which up to version 9, I haven't had a problem with backup and recovery.

So, my question is how can I have a corrupt image when its accessable from windows xp to copy files from the image to the hard drive. Also how can Trueimage state that I don't have a problem when testing the archive backup from both laptops which is successfully done using the Gateway laptop, but not the Dell, yet its only when I try to do a restore in any shape or form from the Dell its when I get the corrupt image file message.

Failing an answer to that question, since I can access the image file from windows explorer because of version 10's ability to read the image as an actual file to copy files from the image to the harddrive; does anyone have any creative suggestions on how I can salvage this image file to restore everything to the Dell inspiron using the USB drive's image file while I'm running windows XP.

Frankly I'm stumped and I hope its a software update fix from Acronis that'll get Trueimage to recognize the image as something other than a corrupt image, but I'm hoping someone might have come up with a solution using version 10 that has allowed them to restore their files from the image in a way that I haven't thought about up to this point.

Thanks for any help

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Do you have an image of the Dell Inspiron that was made under TI 9. If so, boot from the TI 9 CD and restore that image.

With Windows XP running correctly, use the ErrorChecking feature in XP to check that hard drive completely ( in Windows Explorer Right-click on the drive and select Properties. On the Tools tab, click on ErrorChecking. Check both boxes and click Start. When prompted, shut down and reboot. Let the full error checking run on booting.

3. callanish

callanish Registered Member

Thanks for the reply John. Embarassed to say, I basically overwrote my version 9 backups with version 10 because I truly thought it was a no brainer with backups and restore on the TI product since version 9 never failed me in the past and really thought installing 10 wouldn't make that much difference. I do have backups of an image on CD-R discs from version 9 which I made a few years ago and just as a test, I attempted to restore them in version 10 and it was successfully done. The USB image is the one giving me issues. I've installed an old hard drive into the dell, doing a backup with TI9 and about to try to restore it to see if I've got any problems. If I don't then I'm sticking with 9 and I'm pointing the finger at 10 having some incompatibilites with either the inspiron or the inspiron's hard drive. I'll do a major hard drive check on my new upgraded hard drive to see if anything is out of the ordinary as well so thanks for that advice. One way or the other I'm going back to TI9 because after this experience I'm kind of jaded by TI 10 failing me when I most needed it.

Thanks again for the response.

LTM

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Well, that should have been a no brainer, but odd things happen with Acronis new versions.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello callanish,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that when you are restoring an image to the system partition, even in case you start the operation from Windows, the actual restore procedure will be carried in the same Linux environment used in Acronis Bootable Rescue Media full version. Linux and Window operating systems perform operations with memory very differently. So while the image verification under Windows may perform without errors even with faulty memory, under Linux the same image may well be declared corrupted. Notice, though, that an actually corrupted image cannot be declared valid under no circumstances.
    To check your memory for errors you could use the memtest+ utility available at http://www.memtest.com

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. pwstreet

pwstreet Registered Member

I may be missing something here, but it seems mindboggling to me that acronis is using a verification process that allows an image to be declared valid when we complete a backup under windows, which I assume is how most people do their backups, yet when we go to restore that image\backup in an emergency situation using the boot disc, it can be found to be corrupt because " Linux is different than windows". Why use Linux to restore then? Seems like a major flaw in thinking somewhere.
    Just my thoughts since I'm only trialing ver 10 home right now.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The correct link for memtest+ is www.memtest.org

The latest version 1.70 do not use the obsolete memtest (without the +) whose version number is greater than 1.7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.