IM Programs - any recommendations re security

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by beethoven, Oct 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am wondering which IM program I should install. Can anyone recommend a program based on ease of use and security issues.

2. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I can't vouch for security but in terms of ease of use and being light on your sytem, you may want to try Miranda IM.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

IMsecure maybe?

if u want to use the encryption, then the ppl u IM need to have the program as well.

4. beethoven

InfinityAz - I read some comments on Miranda and while I like the fact of this being light on resources, some people complained that it was a bit "difficult" to set up and use?
    I am probably using this only very limited for a special project and if possible don't want to spend hours trying to learn the ins and out of a program.

WsFuser - security in my respect only relates to this program possibly causing security issues with my pc / network/ firewall etc. The conversations don't have to be encrypted, nothing sensitive in there.
    Just thinking some programs like Opera/ Firefox :) are inherently safer than others and if possible I would prefer one of the safer ones. I guess IM Secure may add additional security. Is it really necessary or am I being paranoid?

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

There are many things, which can be set up in Miranda, but you do not have to do it, if you do not want. You will put eg ICQ number and password and that is it. Just try it, if you do not like it, leave it. Miranda is portable, so you do not have to instal it. You can also use plugin called SecureIM, which is encrypting messages on AES192 or PGP/GPG, it supports many IM protocols. By the way, in Miranda you can easily block receiving files, URLs (current ICQ virus), messages.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Use GAIM, light, fast and secure with plenty of features including spell check.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Another vote for GAIM.
    Mrk

8. dog

dog Guest

I 3rd Gaim :) Opensource, Multiple Protocal Support, Encryption Plugins

9. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

A 4th vote for gaim. If only they could make a plugin to block all links, it'd be so much better. I've had problems with the beta and file transfers, but 1.5 is a solid application.

Fairly easy to use and set up if you're used to Trillian and AIM 5.9. I've tried Miranda, and I found the GUI kind of confusing and not what I wanted for a IM application.

The only other problems I've had with GAIM were the resource usage. I used Trillian before, and it was much lighter with a 4mb usage when idle. GAIM certainly renders the ims faster [with Trillian there was a slight pause of my system before an im window actually appeared on my screen] but it uses about 15k-20k even when I have no im windows open.

10. beethoven

Thanks guys,
    I installed Miranda and it was easy enough to set up and is very light on resources. Should suit me fine :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.