I'm mad

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by meneer, Dec 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Someone threatens the website of a systen I'm quite pleased with, http://e107.org. It's a PHP open source content management system (I'm using it for a few sites), so it deserves all the support it can get.
    It's happened frequently that this site was abused, but this time it's getting meaner.
    I'm frustratingly MAD. All I can do is report it over here. Just to get it off my chest. Feel free to join me in mourning or fighting, I don' t know :'( :'( :'(

2. private...

private... Guest

let jailist http://e107.org/user.php?id.1 site owner post the entire log of whatever he got and it may be possible to estimate the seriousnes of it...

Read his news post here: http://e107.org/news.php?extend.482

URL tags added to the link

3. Coml@@g

Coml@@g Guest

I second that.
    It's about time some of the best programmers the Internet has, put finaly an end to attacks, virussus and other things by let us find who does those things and wipe them from the Internet forever.
    As (a bit late) X-mas wish I hope we get back 'our' internet like it was ment too, if not for us, then for our children.

:) Coml@@g

4. TLM

TLM Guest

5. I'm sad to see other related sites suffer the same treatment I do, and I'm very pleased to see the developers of Mambo got their issue resolved, they don't deserve this treatment any more than any of us do.

jalist
    http://e107.org

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Disgusting - although not uncommon, unfortunately :mad:. I do agree Andre, it's a wonderful open source management system indeed, and truly deserves all the support it can get.

IMHO there's only one choice: fight back!. We have been there: severe mailbombing for a seven days in a row, hacking attempts, you name it. Lesson learned: never give in - period.

Although this isn't the most suitable place to join forces, I for one am willing to help wherever I can (addy is in my profile). The developer is very welcome to register over here and/or drop me an email.

As for those speaking up in favor of e107: don't hesitate to register as a member over here - and make sure to enable to hide your email from the public.

regards.

paul

7. Paul Wilders

Steve,

First of all: welcome!

See my post above - I'm willing to help out whenever I can. Joining forces is a good thing to do in situations like these.

regards.

paul

8. Steve Dunstan

Steve Dunstan Registered Member

Thanks Paul, although I'm not sure what could be done ...

9. Paul Wilders

Steve, any logs available?

regards.

paul

10. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Go get'em Paul!!! :mad:

11. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I'm glad this gets a lot of response... and perhaps Steve's the first one with more karma points than posts :D :D :D

12. Paul Wilders

Nevertheless, André, I sure like to see some logs - not especially over here but in PM would do...

regards.

paul

13. Steve Dunstan

Steve Dunstan Registered Member

Thanks for your offer Paul, I'm very grateful.
    Well the only actual thing he's done so far is mailbomb me, nearly 80,000 yesterday (my email server has maxed and is not accessable until my host clears it for me). Looking at the headers, it looks like he used a free webhost to do the dirty work for him, I've emailed them but not recieved a reply.
    If you think seeing the email headers would help I'd be glad to forward them to you.

Thanks again.

14. Paul Wilders

Glad to be of assistance, Steve.

As for the mailbomb issue and the email headers, feel free to drop me an email. My addy is in my profile. Putting some extra presure on that free webhost at the least won't do any harm ;)

regards.

paul

15. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Update:
    The e107.org site is down for some two weeks now. Last weeks the performance was low. but now the site is not available at all.
    It seems a DDoS attack was or is taking place :'( :mad:

16. Paul Wilders

Again? :mad: I really do hope Steve Dunstan will be up and running again soon - if needed using a mirror.

regards.

paul

17. tubilah

tubilah Registered Member

They came up, but now are back down.

This time it seems like a concerted ddos on all three primary e107 sites. e107coders, e107themes and e107 itself (all dot org).

I see that coders is back up now with modified code but I still can't get to the other two.

This really is frustrating, Steve is a gifted programmer with a great CMS that I've been pimping for nearly a year now. It's very quick to install (file upload + 10 minutes gives you a useable site) and is now very stable, even for a newcomer to php like myself.

To see this sort of thing happen, caused by (rumour has it) a disgruntled wannabe contributor, is galling in the extreme.

Steve (and e107) deserve(s) better than this.

PS. Hi.

Red Halibut/Tubilah

On edit: This has all the potential of the great hyperlobby/Galen Thurber fiasco (another "jilted lover).

18. meneer

meneer Registered Member

This is what the hosting provider reports:
    Perhaps these crackers can report about their FBI engangement :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.